585,982 active members*
4,549 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > Fanuc > Excel / Kiwa 510 VMC Fanuc 0M) ATC Problem
Page 1 of 2 12

Excel / Kiwa 510 VMC Fanuc 0M) ATC Problem

Hello all,

I've got an Excel (Kiwa) 510 VMC with a double-arm ATC and am having problems where the tool change cycle. Will only work ONLY after a fresh M19 Spindle Orient command. Subsequent tool change requests, whether in G-code or manual, seem to hang up until the next M19. It's as if the control thinks the spindle has moved from its M19 Orientation. This just started one day after working normally for years. My first thought was that the brake on the double-arm gearmotor was the culprit. Turns out the motor and brake are working fine.

I'm not sure if I should be chasing down something with the Fanuc 0M control or the VMC hardware. To my knowledge, nothing has been changed in the control program or its parameters.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!.
    MotoDan

Question Maker sub program for tool change?

We have an older Kiwa Colt 510 VMC (FANUC 0M) with the umbrella type tool carosel.

In this case when a program calls an M6 the machine calls sub O9001 to handle the tool change. Part of this is because the G28 Z0 (Home) is not the same as the G30 Z0 tool change point.

If I remember I can post a copy of the O9001 M6 macro tomorrow.

Parameters may hide execution of machine tool builder macros, so I am not sure what to add.

Re: Excel 510 / Fanuc 0MC Tool Changer Problem

Thanks for your reply skullworks.

I'm trying to get the O9000 series macros to display, but seem to be having a problem doing so. I've made sure the parameter write mode is enabled and have read about clearing NE9 on parameter 3202, but can't seem to find it. I know this is suppose to be a simple procedure fore the nimble minded! What am I doing wrong?

MotoDan

ATC Trouble

If you check the O9001 program on you VMC you may be able to edit it to include the M19 command. If this does not work then you may have to write a new macro to include the M19 command before the O9001 program callout. Most likely you can turn on the parameter for NE9 and then just edit the tool change macro like any other program.

Good Luck!

Missing Tool Change Macro for Excel 510

Well it looks like there are no O9000 macros in my machine. What's strange is the fact that Parameter 10, bit 4 (PRG9) was already set to 0. Seem like this should have been 1 (disable macro 9000 editing).

I'm now on a quest to find someone with an Excel 510 that I can copy the ATC macro from. Anyone want to step forward???

Thanks guys,
    MotoDan

Tool Changer - Still Having Problems

We got a copy of another Excel 510's tool change macro - Thanks go out to Matt Mason @ TR Mfg. Here's what Matt sent:

O9000
    (TOOL CHANGE MACRO);
    G80 G40 M9;
    G91 G28 Z0.0 M10;
    M6 T#149;
    M99;

Unfortunately this didn't seem to do the trick. I even tried changing the macro to O9001.

Our machine has an 18 position, dual arm, vertical mount random ATC where Matt's is a 16 position, umbrella type which may explain any differences that might exist between the two machines.

Bottom line, our machine will only do ONE tool change before flashing Hold. It seems to work fine in Jog mode as long as I do an M19 first.

If anyone has a Excel 510 with a dual arm changer, I would really appreciate it if I could get a copy of your tool change macro.

Help!
    Dan
    [email protected]

MotoDan:

What model of OM do you have???

GP.

Hi GP,

Our control is a 0M-C.

Thanks,
    Dan

Do you have a value on parameters 240, 241 and 242????

GP.

GP,

All three parameters are 0. Looking over the parm list, these relate to 9001, 9002, and 9003. What should be in these? Could 1=used and 0=not used or something similar?

Dan

Is the feed hold blinking all the time? Blinking feed hold on Excel / Kiwa machine usually means there's a problem with the tool registry (tool numbers used more than once).

It's possible that your machine doesn't have a tool change macro in it.

You can add one by entering "6" in parameter 240 (and then write O9001 macro). 240, 241, and 242 correspond to macro programs O9001, O9002, and O9003. The number you enter in those parameters is the m-code that will fire the corresponding macro.

Add the macro program as you would any regular program. If you get an alarm when you try to insert the program number, you have a parameter issue.

I'd recommend you check the alignment of your spindle orientation. My bet is that it's off slightly, the tool arm knocks it out of position, and the gain isn't set high enough to shift it back. DO THIS FIRST. You don't want to tear up your tool arm.

I have no idea what the current status of Excel is, but I worked there when the court took over the factory. I had a meeting with the new buyer a few years back, and his plan was to manufacture only replacement parts to support existing machines. That screams to me that part prices would be extremely high, AND that he wouldn't be running the show for long. In other words, you don't want to have to buy a new TC arm.

If you can't get it worked out, call Automation Consultants. John at AC worked for Kiwa in their early days in the US, and he knows as much or more about Kiwas/Excels than anyone else in the US. (AND NO, I DON'T WORK THERE)

I'm starting to wonder if my machine ever even had a tool change macro. Your comment about the spindle orientation sounds like a good place to start. It looks to be pretty much in alignment with the ATC arm slot, but may be moving slightly after a tool change cycle completes. How does one go about checking and/or correcting the alignment?

The Hold button only starts flashing after the second tool change request is made - ie 1) T01 M6 - tool changes correctly; 2) T02 M6 - control hangs and Hold flashes.

Are you calling the T code in the same block with the M6?

The way I adjust the orientation is;
    Command M19 in MDI
    Remove the cap on the ATC motor
    Release the brake
    Spin the motor clockwise until the arm contacts the tool
    Check to see if the drive key is centered with the slot in the arm (also see if spindle orientation is still made)
    Spin the arm back to home position
    Mark the spindle location between the spindle nose and the flange (so you can tell for sure which way your adjustment shifted and how much)
    Repeat until centered

You should also check that the arm is centered vertically with the v-flange on the tool during this process.

Also, if you're using CAT-40 tools, make sure they're all oriented the same way. Cat-40 holders aren't symmetrical.

The method for adjusting the orientation position varies. Hopefully, you have a Fanuc maintenance manual that matches your machine's set up.

MotoDan:

I asked you about the parameters becasue they are used to designate the macro called by an M code. If you have nothing then you never call a macro with M6.

Yesterday I went to see a machine model 820 with arm tool changer, it has no macros. It makes the tool change using the PMC program. I suggest you check the orientation system and see what is wrong.

GP.

I took a look at the spindle orientation alignment. The slot in arm looks to be pretty well centered with the tool (CAT40). I jogged the ATC through each step of the cycle and stopped with the arm under the tool that it had just inserted into the spindle. As I was looking at the alignment, I noticed that the spindle was moving +/- a couple of degrees every second or so - almost as if it were hunting for alignment. This may account for my having to do an M19 before every tool change. Also, before and after the tool change, the spindle is not active, meaning that it rotates freely. This seems like a potential problem - I would think if the spindle were to move even slightly, the control would not allow the ATC to operate. Is this normal?

The spindle definitely shouldn't be hunting like that during orientation. It should be completely still. You probably need to adjust the speed loop gain. Clockwise adjustment should increase rigidity. Only increase it enough to prevent oscillation.

As always, note the position(s) of any pot you're going to adjust prior to adjustment, in case the oscillation (hunting) gets worse.

I don't think my machine has any servo drive pots to adjust. The wiring diagram indicates that the spindle motor is an Alpha Series and the amplifier is an S-Series w/optical cable.

Could it be that the spindle gains, etc are in the parameter list?

Let me look around here and see what I can find out. If there are not pots on the drive, it's either going to be a machine parameter or a drive parameter.

A number off of the spindle drive would help...

The spindle drive is P/N A06B-6064-H303.

Mr Dan

Dear Sir
    We have a VMC Make Excel 510 (With Fanuf Control OMC)with the following details
    Fanuf - OMC
    Type-H02B-0098-B511
    No-9104463
    Date-1989-1990
    # ES7116
    PMC-E510-06 Servo9030-09
    Kunde-Schrenrb
    Buch-B-613955/02

Spindle Drive-A06B-6059-h0003#h503
    Servo Amplifier-A16B-1100-0330/048
    system-A02B-0098-B511 Dt-10-1989

Machine Manufacturers detail

Maschinen Wagner
    7592, Ranchin (W.Germany)Industriegebiet

Type - Excel 510
    M/C No--ES7116
    Yr --1990
    Konventionelie Workzeug , Maschinen
    We request you to send please the parameters of the same.

Regards

S.K.Gupta

Page 1 of 2 12