584,814 active members*
5,252 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > EdgeCam > How to create a Post Processor for EdgeCam?

How to create a Post Processor for EdgeCam?

Hello!

This maybe is a really basic question but where and how do i in EdgeCam create and Post Processor? I have been looking around in most of the installed stuff but can not find anything that looks like something about post processors.

Am i totaly blind?

Regards,
    Viperia

Look for the Code Wizard. It will walk you thru the process of creating a post that will be very close to what you need. Works well.

Mike Mattera
    Tips For Manufacturing Training CD's, DVD's for Mastercam, SolidWorks, Inventor, G-Code Training & More
    http://www.tipsforcadcam.com

Hello Mike!

I open the Code Wizard then select to make a new document and then press OK and a new window where i can select Mill, Lathe or Wire is presented and there i select Mill as the machine i want to create a post processor for is a Mill.

Then after that i get a new window presented to me where to select Machine Type, Rotary table, Rotary head and Graphics etc.

Here i select Vertical mill and first rotary table A and second is C and then i can not do anything more except select "Load the default parametric graphics" or select if i want to use Inch, Metrics or Both.

My guess was that the OK button should be pushable but it is not possible, i have tried selecting different machine types like horizontal or gantry machine and different rotary tables, heads but nothing enables me to push the OK button.

Have i missed anything special?

Regards,
    Viperia

Highlight the "NAME" of a template from the list (below left) that you want to use and you will be able to hit OK.
    The bigger problem is which to pick.??? Unfortunately, you don't get very good documentation with this software. But that should get you going anyway.
    I'm trying to figure which one is best for a 4 ax machine. Adaptive (what's this mean), or 5ax?

Quote Originally Posted by Viperia View Post
    Hello Mike!

I open the Code Wizard then select to make a new document and then press OK and a new window where i can select Mill, Lathe or Wire is presented and there i select Mill as the machine i want to create a post processor for is a Mill.

Then after that i get a new window presented to me where to select Machine Type, Rotary table, Rotary head and Graphics etc.

Here i select Vertical mill and first rotary table A and second is C and then i can not do anything more except select "Load the default parametric graphics" or select if i want to use Inch, Metrics or Both.

My guess was that the OK button should be pushable but it is not possible, i have tried selecting different machine types like horizontal or gantry machine and different rotary tables, heads but nothing enables me to push the OK button.

Have i missed anything special?

Regards,
    Viperia

Quote Originally Posted by BobOD View Post
    Highlight the "NAME" of a template from the list (below left) that you want to use and you will be able to hit OK.
    The bigger problem is which to pick.??? Unfortunately, you don't get very good documentation with this software. But that should get you going anyway.
    I'm trying to figure which one is best for a 4 ax machine. Adaptive (what's this mean), or 5ax?
    Sounds good but i do not have any templates or anything below, is there supposed to be that?

Regards,
    Viperia

I have a PDF copy of edgecams training manual for code wizard. PM me and i'll email you a copy.

Well i noticed that i do not have any of those machine template files in my install of EdgeCam is there any possibility that i could download them somewhere? Cant find anything on EdgeCams page.

Somebody might want to share their templates with me?

You can find these template files in "Edgecam\Cam\Machdef\Template" and they are named something.CGT from what i can see.

Would be cool if you could zip down your Template folder and email it to [email protected] or something and if you need to know i run EdgeCam 12.5

Hope someone could take time to help me!

Regards,
    Viperia

They should be there in a standard installation.

Adaptive will give you a machine model for simulation.

What are you making a post for (3X Mill, 4X Mill, 5X Mill). What control does it have? If you doing a simple 3x or 4x Fanuc Mill it's fairly easy.

If your doing a 5X, good luck. Your probably going to have to dig into the :CODE commands. That takes a little more experience.

Mike Mattera
    Tips For Manufacturing Training CD's, DVD's for Mastercam, SolidWorks, Inventor, G-Code Training & More
    http://www.tipsforcadcam.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Mattera View Post
    They should be there in a standard installation.

Adaptive will give you a machine model for simulation.

What are you making a post for (3X Mill, 4X Mill, 5X Mill). What control does it have? If you doing a simple 3x or 4x Fanuc Mill it's fairly easy.

If your doing a 5X, good luck. Your probably going to have to dig into the :CODE commands. That takes a little more experience.

Mike Mattera
    We have Edgecam 12.0 and a Haas TM1 and we just happened across a nice HRT160CNC for it.
    It's kind of funny...no...ironic and frustrating...that we just canceled our subscription this year as we could no longer justify the support we were getting for it (times getting tough!). We never seemed to need the support and the software upgrades seemed to be concentrating on 4/5 axis stuff which we didn't envision getting into. AAARRRGGGGHHH!
    Anyway, I've mostly gotten it to work for simple indexing which is all we really need. The only problem is that it doesn't always rotate the correct direction in the simulator. It's good in the toolpath simulator (or whatever that's called??), as well as in the NC output. But, it seems to make all clockwise turns in the rendered simulation. I presume this is just another software bug rather than a post problem at this point so we're probably stuck with it.

Regarding 4-axis simultaneous stuff, I'd never get justification for this at work but I'd sure be interested in tinkering on my own. Any gains I make in my hobby interests that can be applied at work has always proven to be a win win for all. I would think it would simply be a matter of learning the language. Is there any information available for this. I would think so but cannot find.
    Bob

Well i got this computer preinstalled with EdgeCam from my work but there are no templates etc with it. Possible to get these some where else or if someone would be nice to give zip and email them would be nice.

The machine i want to make the post processor is to start with a 5-axis Hermle C800U with HeidenHein iTNC530 controllers. Im happy if i just get 3-axis to work to start with since that helps quite a bit to. But as time goes and i learn more about EdgeCam etc i want to add the other axis and stuff that could be usefull.

Regards,
    Viperia

Viperia

Try these.

Harold
    Attached Files Attached Files

Re: How to create a Post Processor for EdgeCam?

Quote Originally Posted by inflateable View Post
    I have a PDF copy of edgecams training manual for code wizard. PM me and i'll email you a copy.

Hi do you still have a pdf for training for code wizard please?