584,866 active members*
5,347 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Lightbulb Heidenhain TNC 2500 Drilling Cycles

Not sure if this is the right forum but couldnt see one specifically for Heidenhain.

The fanuc machine i normally operate is broken at the moment so im temporarily operating a Bridgeport Interact 720x with a Heidenhain TNC 2500 controller. This is quite an old machine (about 17yrs old) that doesnt use G codes like i am used to with the fanuc control.
    I wonder if anyone can explain the drilling cycle which was in the program i was running today, it had the tool call, followed by a rapid to the required X and Y positions, and then the following drill cycle:-

Z+0.6 F MAX
    CYCLE DEF 1.0 PECKING
    CYCLE DEF 1.1 SET UP -0.1
    CYCLE DEF 1.2 DEPTH -0.65
    CYCLE DEF 1.3 PECKG -0.2
    CYCLE DEF 1.4 DWELL 1
    CYCLE DEF 1.5 F150

(followed by the appropriate X,Y positions and M99 codes for the next holes)

If i tried to relate this to a fanuc controller would i be right in thinking that:-
    Z+0.6 F MAX is rapid to the initial Z plane,
    PECKING is the the equivalent of entering a G83 code,
    SET UP -0.1 is the equivalent of an R plane,
    DEPTH -0.65 is the finished depth of the hole,
    PECKG -0.2 is the equivalent of a Q value.

Also, if my understanding of the cycle is correct am i also right in thinking that the DEPTH -0.65 command is an incremental movement from the Z+0.6 position as opposed to an absolute command? I ask this because the cycle was drilling through half inch thick plate which was sat on a fixture and the Z datum was set at the top of this fixture but the drill was defintly not going as much as .650" deep into the fixture.

Any help will be much appreciated, thanks.

Download and read the manual from here.
    http://filebase.heidenhain.de/doku/o...D4/N142D4.html

Mark.

Cycle 1 can be tricky until you understand how it works.
    The way you wrote the program the drill will go into your part only Z-0.15" thats because you start at Z+0.6 then set Cycle 1 Setup height to -0.1 down to surface which is really +0.1 above your part and then your depth is Z-0.65. Basically Z-0.75 from where you started because your telling it your +.1 above the zero so .1+.65 equals .75.
    The way you really wanted to write it was
    Z+0.6 F MAX
    CYCLE DEF 1.0 PECKING
    CYCLE DEF 1.1 SET UP -0.6 (down, which is really +.6 up)
    CYCLE DEF 1.2 DEPTH -0.65
    CYCLE DEF 1.3 PECKG -0.2
    CYCLE DEF 1.4 DWELL 1
    CYCLE DEF 1.5 F150
    Then it will do what you want!
    You only need to be careful what you set the Setup height to. Normally set it to the same as the Z start height and your fine.
    There are some tricky things you can do with the setup height so you don't cut air but I won't go into it.
    The other thing is the TNC controls that came after the 2500 no longer allowed you to set a "-" for the setup so it was alot less confusing and also they made the 200 series cycles available which made things easier.
    Just remember that setup height is defining the distance down to the workpiece surface from the start position and the depth is the distance down from the workpiece surface.