585,975 active members*
4,480 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Question on Toolchange

While I try and get my Gecko 540 working with EMC2, I thought I'd come and ask this very important question.

When I run a multiple tool change in a program and I need to manually change my tools, cause I do not have an ATC. Is there a way to set the z-axis higher off from the part when tool changing? I cannot reposition the z-axis during a program, and whenever I need to change a tool, I find my collet/tool won't fit because the spindle is to close. I would like to have the axis move up higher for me so I can do that.

Thanks guys...

-Jason

On my mill when I start up I run the spindle to the top of its travel and designate that place as HOME. All the work is done with the tool set in G54 to the relevent surface. Then when I want to change tools I have a line that reads "G53Z0" which runs the spindle to HOME then goes back to G54 mode, you still need an M1 on the next line to stop motion until you press the S key to resume. You can also move X and Y to get better access to your tools, that can also done to a HOME position or any G54 location. Are you using a tool table with lengths? Ed.

For manual tool change I just program in the tool change location in the g code. Usually this can be done with your post processor for your cam software. If you used the Stepconf Wizard and selected the manual tool change on the basic config page EMC will be set up to stop the program at a tool change when a M6 is in the code.

John