585,743 active members*
5,036 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Community Club House > Zip's Mini shop shed
Page 1 of 3 123

Zip's Mini shop shed

Well it took a lot of decision and thinking ( I almost didn't want to build due to the fact I don't like where I live. But due to economics, I'm stuck here for at least another 5 years.)

So anyway I decided to go ahead and build a 12 x 15 foot mini shop. I could have bought a prefab but due to setbacks I would have ended up with 10x15, so for the same money I can build it bigger and sturdier. Permitting was not as bad as I thought it would be, I didn't like the setbacks but hey I'm still able to put up a decent size shed. Here's a few pics of the progress so far.

I put up a 6 foot privacy fence so that while I'm building it no one can come snooping around(common side walk on other side of fence). It will also help blend the shop to the townhouse. Oh yeah and every shop needs one of these...

More to come.....

Kool foundation inspection passed today!!!!!!! I don't know about yall but it sure does feel good when the man likes what you're doin!

Looks good,
    I`m wondering how your going to set up the inside of a mini shop
    I'm not lazy..., I'm efficient!
    HAAS GR-408

Like this

However the shop construction has grounded to a halt due to economics! 3 weeks of zero business is soaking up all my construction funds :-(

not a bad set up, what did you draw that in?

I know the feeling im on year 5 of building my shop, a little bigger but I hope to be done by christmas
    HAAS GR-408

That was drawn in SketchUp. Great program for drawing up ideas and its super easy to learn and best of all its FREE!!!!! Yeah I'm really starting to enter a crisis, I might have to close my business, I just applied for unemployment and I'm hoping to get some work tomorrow in. Its just super tight right now and it figures after I start my shed shop project, my business income would drop off the face of the Earth.

Just a little support from one who has been there. Don't give up on a dream. It's all too easy. Life is hard. To get what you want, you have to be hard as well. Relentless actually. Also being flexible with a time frame will greatly increase your chance of success. Take care of necessities first. Keep focused. Things will get better.
    I could have also said things won't get better, but that is just too pessimistic. I don't operate that way.
    Good base on what you have so far. Add another few boards a week and soon it will get completed.
    I'll keep watching and rooting for you.
    Lee

Nice job on the Sketchup render, did you draw all the tools (mill, bandsaw, miter, etc...)?

Or, does Sketchup include a library of things like the tools?

Free DXF - vectorink.com

Quote Originally Posted by LeeWay View Post
    Just a little support from one who has been there. Don't give up on a dream.....
    I will second that.

I went through a serious recession in the early 1980's and had to put my business on the backburner while I sought out other work and evaded the tax people who came after me for taxes my business had not remitted. Everything worked out in the end, I paid everything off and you know my position now.

Just hang in there like the frog with the strangle hold on the Heron.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

SketchUp has a huge library of stuff to put in your models. The only thing I did was the outline(walls) and the benches. Thanx for the support guys, I know I'll get there, I always do one way or another.

3/4" tongue and groove floor is down and painted. I had to paint because it might sit a while exposed to the elements. When the building is done I,ll just put another coat on for the final stage.

looks great so far
    I'm not sure if this would be a concern to you but you may want to look at sound proofing your floor somehow while you can do it easily , this is a problem that i had faced when i built my workshop at my other house , i was on a hill and because of the slope i used a wood floor just as you have and the biggest problem i faced with it was the noise level which penetrated through the floor since that was the only portion of the shed without insolation , it was like being inside of a drum , being the night owl that i am i liked to work out in the shop but i was very limited to what i could do at night because i didn t want to piss off my neighbours .
    my work shop here has a concrete floor which has made a huge difference

i built 16x12 which is basically the same dimensions as youve got ,it is definitely a functional sized space if utilized properly , well it is until you see the amount of crap ive got thrown in there, it wasn t too bad when i had one router table in there , now there is two , mine and my sons
    space in the rafters has become a good place to utilize for storage space

it looks like you got a great plan good luck and have fun
    A poet knows no boundary yet he is bound to the boundaries of ones own mind !! ........

Would love to see some pics of your shed Derstep, I'm a huge shed fan! Yeah its a little too late to insulate the floor. I think I'll be alright its completely airtight. Even through I might pop a small vent hole in it.

heres a few pics
    as you can tell i never completed the inside before i moved everything in , next summer i will be throwing up some drywall
    the door for the workshop is small but the area in between the door and the window can be removed by a few screws to open it right up to allow me to bring large stuff in and out
    ive had a number of projects on the go so please excuse my pigsty , mess or not it's my little peace of mind
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC_0333.jpg   DSC_0334.jpg   DSC_0335.jpg   DSC_0336.jpg  

DSC_0337.jpg  
    A poet knows no boundary yet he is bound to the boundaries of ones own mind !! ........

Ah man , that is nice I like it. Yeah my original plan was to get it completely done and then move my stuff in but that may change.

Quote Originally Posted by ZipSnipe View Post
    Ah man , that is nice I like it. Yeah my original plan was to get it completely done and then move my stuff in but that may change.
    I know the feeling I had big plans to make it all the best it could be and then move in but I have re thought my plans to make it functional not finished, finished will come with time
    HAAS GR-408

that seems to be the way it goes , i got to the point that i was tired of hearing that "garages are for parking in " or the other great line " i didnt spend this much money to park out in the driveway"(chair)

Well Home Depot had a sweet deal, one year to pay it off so I jumped on it! So here's an update

More to come....

Nice frame up
    is it attached to the house at all?
    HAAS GR-408

No if I attached it to the house then it is classified as an addition and I would have extra inspections, including having to hire electrical contractor, extra money that I can't afford. As soon as I get my final inspection, electric will be added and it will get attached to the house via heavy duty L brackets and tapcons. Tomorrow I call for the framing inspection and hopefully everything flies.

Page 1 of 3 123