585,778 active members*
4,226 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: CAM Decision

Question CAM Decision

I'd please need some input on software...
    I am new to CNC and the last couple of weeks tried to learn and research how it all works.
    Anyway, we are setting up a new shop with a Techno LC 4848 / High Speed / 5hp Spindle and 4th axis Attachment.
    I'm still trying to figure out, what CAM Package would be right for us?
    We will do Models and Prototypes, Mold and Die, in wood, plastic and HD Foam, possibly some Non-FE-Metals, etc.
    Files will either be Rhino or some .iges translations.
    Nearly all jobs will be "one-offs", no Production runs.

Right now I am looking at either Visual Mill Pro 6.0 or Mastercam Router Pro.
    Of course there is quite a difference in price here, and I've heard so far that you just get what you pay for. However, how much CAM do I need?
    I of course like the idea of Mastercam having more toolpath strategies, that might be very helpful as every job will be different than the one before..

Any Model Makers (or comparable Users) out there, willing to share their experience?
    Would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

Try Surfcam, or call me for cheap advise
    Been doing this too long

if your looking at visual mill, ask them about RhinoCam, should be almost the exact same thing, just runs directly under Rhino as a plug in, made my the same company. I use it, I'm happy. Bobcad/cam just offered me thier $3300 full V22 for $600, I downloaded the demo, HELL NO! By trying to offer a simple but fully functional CAD/CAM, they comlicated the hell out of everything! Might be easier to learn if you've never used CAD or CAM, but sucks if you've used AutoCAD or any CAD system based on AutoCAD.

Several good systems, unfortunately bobcrap is not one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by KIE7 View Post
    I'd please need some input on software...
    I am new to CNC and the last couple of weeks tried to learn and research how it all works.
    Anyway, we are setting up a new shop with a Techno LC 4848 / High Speed / 5hp Spindle and 4th axis Attachment.
    I'm still trying to figure out, what CAM Package would be right for us?
    We will do Models and Prototypes, Mold and Die, in wood, plastic and HD Foam, possibly some Non-FE-Metals, etc.
    Files will either be Rhino or some .iges translations.
    Nearly all jobs will be "one-offs", no Production runs.

Right now I am looking at either Visual Mill Pro 6.0 or Mastercam Router Pro.
    Of course there is quite a difference in price here, and I've heard so far that you just get what you pay for. However, how much CAM do I need?
    I of course like the idea of Mastercam having more toolpath strategies, that might be very helpful as every job will be different than the one before..

Any Model Makers (or comparable Users) out there, willing to share their experience?
    Would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.
    Iam new member in the CNCzone and i need any information about cnc software, please can you help me .

best regard

thanks