584,863 active members*
4,899 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Question Axis Drive Fault

Please Help.

I have a Bridgeport EzPath late and have an axis drive fault. The machine will not home. I have had several people to look at my machine (at great expence) and no one can tell me anything more than it mighht be the drive amplifier card.

To start with the plug to the x axis servo motor was burnt, the plug has been replaced, but the fault remains. Where is the next place to start looking for solutions.
    :drowning:

The most common advice you'll get if you do your own trouble shooting is to swap motors, then cables, then drives, one at a time. The idea is to try to isolate the problem area through a process of elimination. This is your best bet. Even if you have to stock a spare motor and drive, it can be worth it when you're broke down.

You need to take suitable precautions when doing this. The safest method is to remove the motors from the screws they are driving, in case you get a runaway because your encoders are not hooked to the correct axis when doing this kind of swap.
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Thanks HuFlungDung,

I tried your fault finding procedure without sucess, however
    I have since replaced the axis drive card (at considerable expence) and this has fixed the problem.

Check the current your drawing!!!!!! dont damage another drive due to tight ball screws or ways that are worn out and stressing the the controls...there is a reason your drive got fried!!!!!