585,973 active members*
3,944 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Unhappy Counter weight

I didn't relize there was a pin holding the counter weight. when I done setcs the head came down. I was told how to get the pin out but when I did I can not jog the z it shows that it is at Z0 and when goto jog it faults out and will not jog. had to just shut the machine off. need to know how to reset it or something. Thanks for looking hope you can help.

You may have roasted yourself a driver board.

Check fuses, all of them and reset any breaker you see. Fire it up and check the LEDs on the driver boards. AC boards light up when they are happy, the DC boards seem to light up when they are unhappy. If you are still getting a fault, you are most likely into it for a new board.

Good advice from little bubba...

I would also, just to get the counter weight out of the picture, hand turn the z ball screw to relieve the tension on the screw and chain. If it is tight, it may cause problems (a long shot guess). This way you can bring the chains into position to pull the bars (all the Fadals I've been involved with had two bars). Be sure the chains are stable and correctly mounted in their sprockets
    First. Adjust until the counterweight and the bars float before pulling the bars. After the z axis is free, be sure to reline it up to the cs mark.
    I would be surprised if the servo motor drive board is gone, but little bubba could be right.
    Steve.

When I came to work and fired the machine up it was working just fine. thanks for your reply though.

You probably overheated her really good, and it took a while for her to cool down.

However here is the bad part, you may have actually damaged the board and its limping along on its last legs. However you may not have.

I've had the overnight cool down cure an axis fault and then a few months down the road, the board just dies.

I'm not trying to scare you, just something to keep in the back of your head, besides, having a spare board hanging around can save your ass big time in a pinch. Nothing is worse than needing it now, no time to screw around and grab one for $600 on E-bay, so you shell out $1800 plus overnight shipping to get up and running again.

If looking for a spare board, remember that a lot of part #s are interchangable. Basically, you are looking for a DC board, or an AC board. IIRC, AMP-0029 and above are all ACs and should be interchangable, and #s less than 0029 should be DCs and interchangable.

Fadal geeks, double check me on those #s please.