585,748 active members*
3,523 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Catia Post Processor

Hey everyone, I have heard that Catia V5 has some post Processors in it, but I can't seem to figure out how to set it up, or even if it really has one in it. I am able to get the APT code out, but no idea from there. I'm trying to post to Mach3. If there isn't one in Catia, where can I get one that won't break the bank, and easy to use?

ok, after doing some digging on the internet, and playing around with Catia, i have figured out how to get Gcode out of Catia, now......the question of the day is: which machine Post Processor would work the best for Mach3? or...does someone have a post processor already made for Catia to Mach3?

catia v5

The easiest way to find out which post to use is to take a simple part that does drilling and at circle and compare the out put. on a couple of the post you can make changes to make the out put different. if a Mach3 is similiar to a fanuc you can use one of the post but if you are drilling you cannot use the linking retract it mess up the R plane in fanuc. Of couse you can go to ICAM but that will not only break the bank it will break Fort Knox. Hope this helps

CATIA v5

CATIA v5 for Mach 3 ? That's like jet fuel in a Pinto... You might look at budget and see which way the scale is tippin' heavy...... lol ....

Funny enough, I use SurfCAM Velocity 3 to program my DeskCNC/Dyna 2400 at home, but I do make 787 parts at work with the program. I love SurfCAM for the re-writeable post setup.:wave:

As an alternative to ICAM [I used for about 15 years] you could check
    http://www.austinnc.com/

Do not know their current pricing but the folks there are very knowledgable and posts at one time were reasonable and they could support 2 1/2 through 5 axes machine tools; 2 4 and multiturn lathes. Just my thought

HI!

I think, the right question is: "which machine Post Processor would work the best for MY CNC? or...does someone have a post processor already made for Catia to MY CNC?"
    In my opinions, Mach3 is made only to send the job from Catia to CNC and to manage in good condition, your CNC. You must find in the list, in Catia, one machine very similar to your cnc. And sorry for my english, I learn in school only russian and french, but I try to fix this problem verry soon. I hope, romanian is native... Bye!

Bitex

Your english while not great isn't too bad. I can understand you at least. You english is a lot better than my Romanian. Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by jetpig1 View Post
    CATIA v5 for Mach 3 ? That's like jet fuel in a Pinto...
    Nothing wrong with that.

I also work in aircraft, and Catia is the Cad-Cam program that is used industry wide. since that is the program that I know, I figured why try to learn something else like Bob-Cad, or Master Cam. Although I'm sure that they will be useful in the future, my short term goal is to finally get this machine kicking out some parts, and hopefully bring in some of the money that I have spent on it As for the jet fuel in the Pinto.....an associate and I were actually toying with the idea of putting a supercharger on a Pontiac Fierro. Just thought I'd throw that in. but back onto subject. my machine is a 4 axis servo based retrofit 10x54 mill that I am about to put a set of ball screws, and a VFD on. for now it's a great machine, when I start making more.....or atleast some, I'm sure I will upgrade to a machining center.

like enjoy!

hi everybody! I'm Hung. I'm from Viet Nam, Asia. I'm an engineer, 24 year old.
    My English is very bad. I feel why you don't use a Cad-Cam program simple, such as Cimatron It or MasterCam to create G-code, then insert it into Mach3 to control CNC machine. Catia is a great software, to design oto, ...I feel it no good to design component for machine. What do you think?. I want to design a wood milling machining. do you want? have a good time! good bye!
    [email protected]

Catia ia a complete PLM solution. It is the best CAD/CAM software money can buy. That's why Boeing builds planes with it and GM makes cars with it.

Catia/ GM comment

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Stevenson View Post
    Catia ia a complete PLM solution. It is the best CAD/CAM software money can buy. That's why Boeing builds planes with it and GM makes cars with it.
    GM uses UGS but only in the tool rooms. They quit using Catia a while back. I have used both Catia and UG and they both have very good qualities. At the time I was using them they had some weakness too, but most of the bigger 3D systems have both good and bad points.