585,992 active members*
5,319 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Mini Lathe > What features are mini-lathes missing versus larger industrial lathes?

What features are mini-lathes missing versus larger industrial lathes?

I am just looking to learn to use a manual lathe to eventually move up to the cnc lathes in my machine shop. I don't want to spend a lot of money on a big manual lathe since basically most of the lathe work is done via the industrial size cnc lathes in the shop. So I was thinking of buying a small manual mini-lathe to learn on. But what I want to know is what features, etc. are missing on the smaller lathes compared to the larger industrial size manual lathes such as a 16x40, etc. size.

I was looking at the Micro-Mark 7x14 or the Sieg C4 lathes to learn on. Do these have all the same features and machining capabilities as the larger industrial manual lathes do? (obviously not the same power, speed or weight). But I mean in terms of threading, power cross slide, feed, etc.) Basically all the same stuff to learn the methods of machining on a lathe.

Thanks!

Generally, no power crossfeed and the general lack of power and rigidity require a different mindset regarding depth of cut. Also they are generally change gear lathes so changing from one feedrate to another requires changing gears rather than just moving a lever. However, if you go into it understanding the limitations you can learn a lot on one of them.

Alan

Mini Versus Big Lathes

Quote Originally Posted by squale View Post
    I am just looking to learn to use a manual lathe to eventually move up to the cnc lathes in my machine shop. I don't want to spend a lot of money on a big manual lathe since basically most of the lathe work is done via the industrial size cnc lathes in the shop. So I was thinking of buying a small manual mini-lathe to learn on. But what I want to know is what features, etc. are missing on the smaller lathes compared to the larger industrial size manual lathes such as a 16x40, etc. size.

I was looking at the Micro-Mark 7x14 or the Sieg C4 lathes to learn on. Do these have all the same features and machining capabilities as the larger industrial manual lathes do? (obviously not the same power, speed or weight). But I mean in terms of threading, power cross slide, feed, etc.) Basically all the same stuff to learn the methods of machining on a lathe.

Thanks!
    Lack of power cross feed and the lack of quick change gearing is the real difference. I have the homier 7x and the atlas TH42 which is a 10" x 42" overall bed length. The atlas has the quick change and it is a real time saver when going from threading to alum to steel and stainless. On the 7x series I only really do aluminum so it isn't real a big deal. Nice machine to learn on. Having one of these really makes you appreciate a big lathe when you use one.

Mike

do any of the mini lathes have a lever for quick change of feedrates for threading, etc.? how about the new Sieg C4 lathe?

if not, what's the cheapest lathe that does have this feature because it sounds very handy.

The 9x20 lathes and the Grizzly 10x22 have a partial quickchange gear box. You either set up the gear chain for threading or fine feed. Then you have a limited range of selections, but you can't really switch from threading to fine feed without changing gears. I believe that you will really be looking at a 12x36 before you will find a lathe with a complete gearbox or an older American made Atlas, Logan or South Bend.

Alan

I forgot the 9x20 feed lever has two selection positions. One is for threading and engages the halfnuts, the other is for feed rate. The feedrate position engages a worm that is driven be a slot in the feed screw for a finer feed. However, to get the finest range of feeds still requires a different set of gears than those used for normal threading.

Alan

I just purchased the MicroMark 7x14 for similar reasons (i.e. to learn) and LOVE it. I still have lots to learn, but will be documenting parts of my learning experience on my blog - www.nyccnc.com.
    Tormach PCNC 1100, SprutCAM, Alibre CAD

I have a Lathemaster 9x30 that I like a lot. It's a copy of an Emco, so is pretty decent. No quickchange gearbox. I plan to convert to CNC, so I'd rather the manufacturing $$$ didn't go to a quickchange and instead went elsewhere.

If I wanted to keep it manual, I would build a variable speed motor for the leadscrew and use that for power feed. This is very easy to do and would be a nice rig. That would mean the changegears are only invoked to thread.

I've seen people do the same to get a power cross feed. Also not a hard mod.

Best,

BW

The C4 lathe is about twice as heavy and rigid as the 7 x lathes--And it HAS a power cross feed. It also has plenty of extra torque from the 1000 watt auto-torque-increase variable-speed motor.

CR.