585,758 active members*
4,675 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > GibbsCAM > Saving Processes

Saving Processes

We have a default configuration which has all the tools that are regularly installed in the 2 VMCs. Recently the designers have been sending us parts that are exact scaled versions of parts we are already making. What I want to know is; is there any way to save the processes along with the tools so that we can just select new geometry from the scaled dxf file and not have to re-type in all the parameters for each tool/ process (DOC, speeds etc.)? We machine a large number of different parts from 3” X .5” 360 brass flat. I almost always use the same tools with the same process and it would be useful to be able to have a default configuration that I can just boot into, load and select the new geometry, hit “Do it” and post.

thanks

Hi Microdot,

I don't have VG, but do you have an option for scaling in the machine post output itself? Its maybe not as simple to use as it sounds, I've never tried it: the work datum may be trickier to find to set the work offset when everything gets scaled.
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

What version of VG are you using ? I am using 7.3 and it does have the processes available to save. Here is a better option IMO for what you are doing. Take one of your files, save it as Master.vnc. When you go to a new size, load this master file it will contain all of your tooling and processes , you will have to re-apply the processes and set tool clearances but, you will retain your "cut-data" this way.

Another way to do this is as Hu said, apply scaling, however I am not sure how this will work (never used it).

I do alot of jobs that have the same tooling, which I apply to different shapes. Maybe this will help you atleast to keep from having to put in speed and feed data.

Billy

I use Gibbs also, and have lots of common parts to program. I use generic programs as templates, but I also use processes all the time. This has saved me many, many, hours of prgramming. Using a template program is nice too, but as stated previously, you will still need to go through and verify all of your program parameters anyway.
    Using a template program works well for making new programs with common sizes, and materials, because Gibbs saves these profiles as default for the next time you start a new program. But having a variety of processes to program with has been essential to my work.