584,817 active members*
4,673 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Tools / Tooling Technology > CNC Tooling > Abrasive grinding/polishing wheel for cnc mill. Possible?

Abrasive grinding/polishing wheel for cnc mill. Possible?

I wonder if there is some kind of tooling for a cnc mill to allow grinding and polishing?
    If there is can you please point me to the site or manufacturer from whom I can get it.

Thanks!

I am looking for the same thing

I am machining aluminum air cylinders and am looking for the same type of product. I have also been looking for something like a burnishing tool that can be run as a finisher on the walls, since my cylinders are not round a standard burnisher will not work. I am looking for any suggestions.

High frequency spindle for grinding

Have you consider using a high frequency spindle or spindle speeder to give you the rpm: http://www.mctooling.com/index/listings/page862.htm

Are you thinking something along the lines of a rubberized abrasive wheel or stick? Such as:

http://www.cratex.com/rubindx.htm

It reminds me of the old electric drafting erasers. They used to have some eraser sticks with abrasive for erasing pen and ink drawings. Maybe they still do.

I got a hold of a company in Grand Rapids, MI called C.B. DeKorne that got me a bunch of samples of things to try, and I found that felt bobs work pretty good for polishing parts in a machine. As long as you apply some compound the walls of the part and program the bob to have about .01-.015 of side load. The other thing that I tried that worked fairly well was some little scotchbrite wheels that we ordered from J&L Industrial Supply. Those come in a variety of different abrasive levels.
    I hope this helps.