584,805 active members*
5,114 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Okuma > Learn IGF One touch or Learn a CAM?

Learn IGF One touch or Learn a CAM?

We got a new MB56VA a few weeks ago, our first machining centre after years of lathes, and the OSP200M Advanced IGF One (friggin Million) Touch is confounding me.
    Anyone have opinion on whether to persevere or just learn a CAM package instead?
    Our bread and butter jobs are small batches and fairly simple items.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by brettcnc View Post
    We got a new MB56VA a few weeks ago, our first machining centre after years of lathes, and the OSP200M Advanced IGF One (friggin Million) Touch is confounding me.
    Anyone have opinion on whether to persevere or just learn a CAM package instead?
    Our bread and butter jobs are small batches and fairly simple items.
    hi brett

why not learn G-Code?

Okuma / G- Code

I know G-Code! The conversational interface is quicker and safer.

get cam. a machine like hat is more capable than igf can take advantage of. much more you can do with cam.

I agree

I was up against the same wall about 7 months ago. we bought a multus. It was my first real okuma experience after many years running and programming fanucs, talk about different programming styles! our machine came with the admac/one(friggin million)touch igf and I felt that to do anything in the 3 dimensional world was way too difficult and it wont accept solid models(which are the bomb by the way)so we made the plunge and got our first real cad cam package...Wow, no wonder everyone likes them. we went with esprit and I can say they are fantastic to work with. we have deal with a few different brands over the years and noone can beat the customer support esprit has. anyway, I would splurge and get a cam system. the way I figured it, we could all learn one system for all machines or use a hodgepodge of ways and never be efficient, it will pay off in the long run.

Im sorry if I sound like a dick, but why in the world would you waste time and money on a cad cam system when you have a p200 with advanced one touch right in front of you!!!! Are you mad? Your not going to find a quicker more user friendly system anywhere else, I would kill for that one touch software. You can write a program with the 3d graphics prove it out in simulation ,use the collision avoidance, and start cutting! If you can figure out a cad/cam, you can mOst certainly figure out your controls. C'mOn man, you have the best right in front of you!! You can create paths, shapes, tool shapes right there and store them in the library! It's endless the capabilities! If you do need help contact okuma!

Ollllld post...

The good old standard igf was quite handy and useful, especially when cad cam was in its infancy. Original came out in the early 80's. Never a fan of the one hundred touch or the one million touch systems. A good cad cam system is by far superior, especially importing models. We have one hundred touch, and the mori caps software with all the options. It's a mix. Simple parts get done on the maps, complex get done on the Mastercam, and no one uses the 100 touch.

End of Discussion?

Ok. I see I got some replies top this Oldy.
    1) We have grown to love the IGF on the P200M and use it for all 2D programming. It is surprising what can be done in 2D - see pic. And it is super easy to change cutting data and the Advanced mode for running individual cycles is invaluable.
    2) We have elcheapo CAM software for true 3D work and engraving, which is rare for us.

Okuma support

BrettCNC how is your okuma performing, is support good in your area, also what is the Elcheapo CAM package do you have.
    Skeney

Okuma Support

Quote Originally Posted by SKENEY View Post
    BrettCNC how is your okuma performing, is support good in your area, also what is the Elcheapo CAM package do you have.
    Skeney
    Skeney, The Okuma is going very well. Support is not great in SA at the moment. We have a ATC issue where the tool carousel does not stop in correct spot, so they repeatedly opened up the +/- tolerance in the parameters to keep the machine from alarming out while they work out how to fix it...I think that was over a year ago. We get some really clunky sounding tool changes. I am assured it will be fixed under warranty eventually...The applications engineer quit recently, not sure if he has been replaced yet. We use Bobcad V24 for 3D milling, mostly Bobart Pro for engraving.

Side note about my service opinion: Every machine tool I have bought or enquired about came with a spiel about the quality of the after sales service and the experience and qualifications of service staff and the spare parts carried in stock. Every new machine tool which had a problem the service tech was unavailable for days, due to a rare emergency elsewhere or annual leave or such and the parts I need are the only time that part has ever been required thus it is not in stock in Australia. I am not making this up - Daewoo, Cosen, Okuma, Iemca. It is just the way it is when you have a machine shop in a tiny manufacturing area.