584,812 active members*
5,383 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Okuma > Okuma & Howa Millac 5VA

Okuma & Howa Millac 5VA

Hi, I originally posted this thread into another forum with no luck, I wasn't aware of this Okuma forum, here it goes...

I'm new by this site and have some questions regarding a CNC machine, hopefully you gentleman can help me see the light at the end of the tunnel.

I am bringing back from hell and old 1980 Okuma & Howa Millac 5VA vertical machining center with a Fanuc 6M control, and after about 3 weeks of hard labor, I have it almost ready, all 3 axis move, they home, the spindle rotates, it does M19's, it even does M06's complete from its 20-tool magazine to the spindle housing, so far it obeys every given command by means of MDI.

But...I can't seem to find the G54-G59 screen anywhere, I read these G's were an option back in those years, perhaps some of you could confirm or deny this roumor. I gotta mention that when I first started working on this machine it had nothing on its memory, I loaded by hand the parameters that are written in 2 sheets of paper inside the electric cabinet, I also performed a re-initialization process for the ATC (thanks to Telly Ysker for it).

Maybe I'm still missing some parameters wich enable some special functions, I don't know.

I've been playing around with a short program that I made, without G54, but it's very complicated, here's what I do: I home all axis, use G92 to tell the machine it's X0 Y0 Z0, then I jog all axis to bring the tool very near to the workpiece and write down those positions, go back home and start the program with ...T...S...M03...G00's to near the workpiece, G01's and F's to do small moves but it's kind of difficult to do that with such large numbers instead of REAL coordinates.

I wouldn't want to drop it now that I'm so close to succeed, so, if you are able to help me, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks.

SOLVED: FANUC 6M HAS NO G54

YES, AFTER MANY MANY HOURS OF RESEARCH I FINALLY FOUND OUT THAT THIS FANUC 6M CONTROL DIDN'T COME WITH THE G54, AS A MATTER OF FACT, NONE OF THE 6M, ONLY THE 6MB AND ABOVE.

THE 6M WAS ALSO KNOWN AS THE 6MA

Quote Originally Posted by SINUMERIKO View Post
    I am bringing back from hell and old 1980 Okuma & Howa Millac 5VA vertical machining center with a Fanuc 6M control, and after about 3 weeks of hard labor,
    Hello, I hope you've had success with your machine.

I'm doing the same with a 4H (horizontal) and I've posted about one of my problems on the Okuma forum and the Fanuc Forum. I wonder whether you would have a copy of the schematics (which apparently these machines share ) or any information on the sequencer
    regards, Roland

Hi,

Yes, I have some information that might help you, send me a pm with your email address.

By the way,

The person who told me that the 6ma didn't come with the G54 function is Mr. Dan Fritz, all the credits go to him. Thanks Dan.

Quote Originally Posted by SINUMERIKO View Post
    The person who told me that the 6ma didn't come with the G54 function is Mr. Dan Fritz, all the credits go to him. Thanks Dan.
    I Agree

I've sent a pm to you
    thanks and regards, Roland

Hello mate,
    I have okuma milac 5H with Fanuc 6m w/dual pallet, not running yet. I have just bought it last week, quite big machine, weight 8.5 tons. Is this machine 3 axis or 4 axis, since on crt panel there are x,y z and b axis? Where can I find any manual for this Okuma machine? I have a discussion one time with Mr. Dan Fritz about Fanuc 5T before. Sorry if this is not the right place for my machine, I tried to find about this machine thread, not found.

rolandkra,
    Is your machine running OK now? Do you have any difficulties to make it run.

Quote Originally Posted by asuratman View Post
    Hello mate,
    I have okuma milac 5H with Fanuc 6m w/dual pallet, not running yet. I have just bought it last week, quite big machine, weight 8.5 tons. Is this machine 3 axis or 4 axis, since on crt panel there are x,y z and b axis?
    rolandkra,
    Is your machine running OK now? Do you have any difficulties to make it run.
    Hello asuratman, I think you've found the right forum, or at least a good one. The people here and on the Fanuc forum have helped me enormously. Sinumerico on this forum has a similar machine that he has running.

My machine shares the control between Fanuc and Okuma and that makes life "interesting" if you are as new to this as I am.

I have the same situation with the dual pallets and I believe that the B axis switches on the main panel and the hand control are merely in preparation for having a fully controlled NC turret. In most of the literature that I've seen, there are three options; a one (1) degree indexable turret (360 positions), then a five (5) degree version which I have and then a full NC turret.

As for my machine, I had to spend a lot of time cleaning the crap out of the machine because NONE (I think) of the previous owners had done that and all the ways and limit switches were either blocked or at least slowed down by a cement made up of metal chips and dried out coolant. The resulting mess was as hard as cold bees wax and filled one and a half 200 litre drums ~ 300kg. Still, that took only three days and eventually all the limit switches responded and the machine groaned into life.

I'm just wading through some paperwork so that I'm ready to try to coax the sequencer into letting my Y axis free :-). It's 01:00 am here in Australia now, I have a cold or flu that won't let me sleep so this looks like a good time to try.
    regards, Roland

Hi Roland,
    Thanks for your reply, let me know if you have good news to run the machine. This okuma is good machine, you can see on the structure. Fanuc 6M that I have on the machine is old enough, I do not know if I can get parts if I need them. Do you think so? Do you have any plan to retrofit your machine controller? Or going fully 4 axis. What you are going to do with your machine? I plan to use my machine mainly to make mold. Thanks.

mkkjkjkjkjkjkjkj