585,556 active members*
3,588 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: DSP problem

DSP problem

I have experienced some strange things using my DSP.

Here is a list:

1: Z axis limit switch seems to work when going to Home, but some times using the manual Z axis movement on the DSP controller it don't stop. It's not a big thing, but if you don't use you're brain you could run the Z axis up to it knocks the axis to it's limits.

2: When the machine is turned on, but not used for a while (setting up the material to be milled etc) the DSP may turn in to a very "slow mode" where it is very slow on reacting on key-press on the keypad. When this happens, it can't find any files on the U-disk (USB memory stick) what ever I do. It's not related to the USB stick, since I have a different one to test out and both do not get recognized. The only thing to do is to turn the machine OFF and ON again where everything work fine.

3. Tonight I experienced another strange thing when I did clean down and lubricated the machine: It was not in use for a while, I was just jogging the axis to get the grease out on the rails and cleaned the spindle. After spindle clean the machine did not want to respond to any key press at all. It did not want to move in any directions whatever I tried. I had to turn it OFF and ON again and the machine then worked like normal.

Very frustrating and irritating since the machine has hardly been used and I can't see what should cause this to happen.

Any one with same experiences ?

Kent

Hi Kent,

1. I would check to distance from the Z axis sensor to the metal tab that trips it, ideally this would be closer than 3mm, I think mine are around 1.5-2mm. Otherwise it may be in the connections or wiring??

2 and 3, I have had my machine freeze on me a couple of times when stopping a file. I had to turn the machine off and on again to get it to work. If you have used any other CNC machines then you will realize that they all have their own bugs in the software. I wouldn't say these ones are too major. In saying that I still intend to chnage to Mach3

FWIW

Shannon.

Thanks Shannon.

I would check the distance between the activator and the sensor it self. It might be that it's to far out where I guess it might case a unreliable switch...
    The next would be I guess to check the cables and see how well these are connected... Not a job I look forward to.

In respect of freezing, it has never happened earlier and was very frustrating now since I finally have sorted some of the setup issues and are eager to get going on milling The reason for keeping the DSP was because I hoped this solution was a rock solid one which always worked, but then I guess that's not the case.

I have to admit that The Brain looks very good and I need to check if I could add some feedback sensors. For me this seems like a more complete kit and since I have not used Mach3 or any other control SW I guess it does not matter which type I have to teach my self

Kent