585,670 active members*
4,303 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Kitchen sink

Kitchen sink

Hello every one,
    Sorry for my poor english language skills
    I'm wondering how to make a kitchen sink for my girlfriend I would like to make one sink using same material as is used in kitchen sinks which are available in every store. Material which I would like to use is acrylic resin (10-20%) and crushed\milled stone (90-80%). Now my question is - to make a sink in a mold I need some special machines? I need to use pressure casting or something like that to get quality of my sink - same as qualit of the sink available in store?
    Best regards,
    OB

Greetings - and welcome aboard!
    Because its would be a "one-off" you could make a simple mold (PLUG) of the inside of the sink, its landing etc. The quality of the finish would be important - what you see - is what you get. The mold could be made of foam and hand sculpted to the shape - with all appropriate details.
    Then, a coat to seal it - DURATEC has a good hard, glossy finish - don't know if you have it available. WAX it up, release agent etc.
    Now, maybe a coat or two of surfacing resin sprayed on to get the gloss you'd be looking for - instead of gelcoat which tends to be pigmented and opaque.
    When thats cured, start mixing up your stone and resin and lay it up over the mold. Mesh, roving, netting, wire etc could be used to support the slury of stone & resin.
    You could apply some vacuum to hold to the shape and prevent sag too. Not to thick, several applications better than a thick one.

There are number of ways to do this - that's just off the top of my head how I'd approach it. You might try the Learning Center" at:
    http://www.fibreglast.com/contentpag...chures-23.html
    Sorry they are pdfs so won't babelfish for you. But the language is pretty straightforward. BTW your command of english reads pretty good to me

Good luck - :cheers: Jim
    Experience is the BEST Teacher. Is that why it usually arrives in a shower of sparks, flash of light, loud bang, a cloud of smoke, AND -- a BILL to pay? You usually get it -- just after you need it.

Thank you for your reply.
    I have few companies witch have special resin (special resin for casting) and I know where to buy "crushed" stone.
    Now about this "surfacing resin" - this should special resin or the same resin witch I will use for mixing with crushed stone?
    Thank you for the link - I will check it

I'd rather say the kitchen sink is, ironically, fully part of the list, to make clear this person is ready to advertise absolutely anything.
    The point is to find something in French that will carry the same connotation.