585,996 active members*
3,850 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

general info for wood cnc

I've been exploring the use of a cnc machine in my woodshop and need advice. I make boxes, primarily jewelry and gun cases. I would like to engrave logos or outlines of firearms or do 3D carvings of subjects on my box lids and be able to do custom signs. I've been looking at Shopbots but don't see them in any of your discussions. Most machines would seem to be an overkill for my use but wonder if it might also be use for dovetailing? Are there entry level machines that don't cost a fortune?

check out the general

have a look at the general(gorilla) cnc machines for entry level ,built in quebec
    Also a gorilla enrty on this site

Re:

Quote Originally Posted by woodman08 View Post
    have a look at the general(gorilla) cnc machines for entry level ,built in quebec
    Also a gorilla enrty on this site
    Hi,
    Any entry level machine available for wood cutting, my budget is very low.

Shopbot Buddy?

How about the Shopbot Buddy? Seems like small footprint and full featured. How would it compare to Gorilla?

Smile cnc wood wooking

I am in touch with someone who will do wood carving for me with a ShoBot. I an intersted in getting some architectual carvings made;ie,carved chairs and tudor rose emblems. The Shopbot owners say I need toget someone with a 3d scanner . Where can I get this scanning done, an approx cost for a program that is compatible with the Shopbot.

Quote Originally Posted by dtoggs View Post
    Where can I get this scanning done, an approx cost for a program that is compatible with the Shopbot.
    Here's a ShopBot user who does scanning. He's a member here, too.
    http://www.ibild.com/
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

I know this is very forward of me, but I can scan what you need most likely. I am working with a 5x wood guy in Maine that needs parts scanned for production in January. Let me know if we can help. As many of you we are a small operation. But we are freezing our butts in central Maine.

www.funcpro.com

Hey all

I did ALOT of looking around before deciding on a Shopbot BT48 Alpha with the 2.2 HP Spindle. I like their tech support--their forum is AWESOME, and when I tried to "grind them" for a better deal--they would only offer a 2 day training at the facility no charge. This told me they were committed to people knowing how to take full advantage of their units--and I did the deal. All in with the casters-crate-etc and shipped from NC to Toronto was just under $14k (US)

My company www.hogtunes.com makes audio products for the powersports industry. I often joke around that we specialize putting speakers were they should never go We bought the shopbot for helping us with 3d prototyping of future products. If the need ever arises--we can add the "powerstick" which will expand our 2' x 4' table to a 4' x 8' easily.

I did not check out the unit made in Quebec--but FWIW--were completely satisfied with the pre and post purchase of the Shopbot

PEZ