585,737 active members*
4,543 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > construction plane and tool plane

construction plane and tool plane

What is the difference between the two? I'm looking at an indexing tutorial and they seem to always be set the same but it isn't really explained.

I can figure out the construction plane meaning, that seems to be just like solidworks, it's the tool plane that has me lost.

OK feel free to delete this post, I got my answer.

I'm surprised that one of the MasterCam instructors here didn't chime in on this one. Since you got your answer, Nervis, why not share it so the rest of us might get a better understanding of it. I got MasterCam thrown at me a few years ago with no training and no manuals (my predecessor took them with him). I've muddled thru it and can do what I need to do but I, too, am eager to learn more.

The CPlane is the plane you create geometry on, and the TPlane is the plane the geometry is machined on. For most 3 axis work and/or indexer work, the two are generally the same: Top/Front/RSide etc. and don't require any modifications or actions to change. If you're doing multi-axis work, it allows you to define TPlanes independant of the CPlane, which lets you machine at angles. You can create planes (C and T) using several methods including solid faces, geometry, existing planes, and even existing views, or rotating the planes by a user defined angle. (If you have manually or otherwise rotated your part to a certain view, you can save that view and assign a TPlane and/or CPlane to it)

E-Stop, I kind of lernt the same way you did. I was several years into it before I ever saw a book or went to a class. It was just me and the help files, which I found to be lacking some basic fundamentals. Chances are you'll be able to find other ways of doing things you need to do. If there's some issues you're having, bring them up, maybe we can find easier/better ways of doing it. Do you have VBS? (v9.1 or later)
    Matt
    San Diego, Ca

___ o o o_
    [l_,[_____],
    l---L - □lllllll□-
    ( )_) ( )_)--)_)

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by Rekd
    If there's some issues you're having, bring them up, maybe we can find easier/better ways of doing it.
    Thanks, I will. I was using Unigraphics before and I guess I just got spoiled. MasterCam wasn't too hard to figure out the basics but I'm sure there are better ways to do alot of the things I am doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Rekd
    Do you have VBS? (v9.1 or later)
    Nope. I'm stuck with v8.5, although the boss says we may jump to "X" next year.

Hey thanks Matt, I ended up calling my sales rep, who is a "power user" I'm told....he's been great about support after the sale, even gave me his cell number.

It's always a fear that after a purchase like this I'll get left in the dark, I've been relieved to find that is not the case.

The MC forum is a great resource as well, I'm working my way through some of the old posts over there.

http://www.mastercam.com/camzone/newszone/default.asp

heres a link to a WCS tutorial that put everything in the bag for me.

It's about halfway down the page.

you can alos get the from www.mastercam-cadcam.com/wcs.zip this is a direct download link.

Now this sample and info to updated using the WCS.
    This does not really explan C-plans and T-plans
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

"Now this sample and info to updated using the WCS.
    This does not really explan C-plans and T-plans"

I don't understand that statement at all cadcam.

The tutorial link I posted up above explains c and t planes very well as well as the WCS.

It does not really cover the use and what the C-plane are and some what gives info on using for T-plans.

I use this info in my clases to teach but i go over the basices on how to use C-plans and T-plans.

this download is great for people with a basic under statnding of C-plane & T-plan now how to use the WCS along or in subs to the standard T/C plans.
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .