585,715 active members*
3,867 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Remove bridgeport spindle/quill?

For some reason I thought you just remove the nut that mounts to the quill that either gets tied into a ballscrew or is used for a dead stop. I've removed that piece and thought the spindle would just drop out, doesn't work like that I guess.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? Been searching for an hour with no luck.

Hi mc-motorsports
    Is your machine a manual machine or CNC If you removed the nut on the end of the quill this lets you remove the spindle & bearings from the quill housing
    Mactec54

Series 1 manual. Any way to drop the quill out all together?

You will need to remove the pinion, too. Take off the clockspring and remove the clutch housing. It's been a while since I have done it but the entire cartridge comes out pretty easily.

Scott
    Consistency is a good thing....unless you're consistently an idiot.

Now sure what the pinion and clockspring are. I use icam-online.com Do you know of a better site with more of a blueprint rather than exploded views?
    Thanks for the help

What machine are you working on? Is this a J-head?

I have a manual somewhere, but I think it must be on my PC at home. I found it on the net - Google around and you will find it. Heck - I recall posting it on this site a while ago.

The pinion and clockspring are behind the downfeed handle on the right side of the head. I can not recall exactly how to remove the pinion, but I have done mine a few times without the use of a manual - it is somewhat intuitive once you get in there. I do believe you have to remove the downfeed clutch from the left side of the head to extract the pinion gear.

Sorry I can't be of more help at the moment!

Scott
    Consistency is a good thing....unless you're consistently an idiot.

Bridgeport does not recommend removing the quill unless it is damaged and needs replacement. It is precision ground and matched to the housing with a .0002" fit.
    Just for your information.

Scott

Not that sure but usually I drop the quill out after I have the entire top torn off off the head. Then I can remove the screws that hold the quill skirt and felt strainer. I do not believe the quill will come out unless those are removed.
    The quill pinion shaft supports the quill handle and pinion gear. The downfeed clutch comes off the left side. The clockspring off the right side (counterbalance spring for the quill).
    remove snapring on left side. Push pinion shaft to come out the right side.
    Why are you removing the quill?

George
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by machintek View Post
    Why are you removing the quill?

George
    I have a customer who wants to try to make a quick change tooling system using the kennametal clamping system as an idea.