585,567 active members*
3,427 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Renishaw probe

I just bought a used VF 3 SS with the Renishaw probe SYS but the manual does not cover anything for the probe or toolsetter. Could someone point me to where I can read up on the system

Thanks

There is a thread on here about them do a search. I run 2 vf4's and a vf11 all with the probes.. I love them!!. to get to the macro's to use the probe go into a program hit edit then program conversion three times then hit f2 this will bring up a menu scroll down to 9996 hit write/enter and you can look at the probing macros and use them, if I remember it I can bring home the papers that come with the probe and send them to you. But there is not much there to read I think its about three or four pages. I just started using them without reading anything, they are mostly self explanitory once you select one, just read the screen and it will tell you where you need to be with the probe in relation to the part. This is assuming the probe is properly calibrated.

I would appreciate any paperwork you have if it is not to much trouble.

I have been playing with it and it does appear to be pretty straight foreword but I would hate to do something dumb and mess it up.

Is the calibration process very difficult ?

Thanks

Calibration is fairly easy, I read your other post. It sounds like you did not probe the top of the part, if you did then your calibration is way off. If you did not probe the top of your part then bring your macro's back up select the top one(hi light bar on it and hit write/enter) then arrow right three times and down once, this is the macro for probing the top of your part hit write/enter a menu will pop up asking where to send it to, send it to mdi. Get the probe in the spindle, hand jog the probe down to within about .400 of the top of the part. go back into mdi hit cycle start the probe should come down and touch off three times. The machine now knows where the top of the part is. Now create a program with an end mill in it and have it machine about .005 off the top. You do know how to program right? <-- I'm just asking not being a smart a** when you run the program run your rapid at 5% just to be safe put a finger right over the feed hold button!! if it machines any off the top then you know it is calibrated closer than that and you good to go.

trying to change the probe?

We were able to calibrate the probe with the tool checker, but when we went to set the Z of the work with the probe (in tool 1) it changes the probe out for tool 24? Dont know where it is getting this from, it seems to be in the EASYCHECK subroutine that it wants the probe to be in tool 24. Any ideas?

Is there a pointer to some documentation on the Renishaw tools as they are set up in the Haas controller?

Information

I have attached a Microsoft Word file that may be of some use to you. Use at your own risk as I am a newbie but have the Renishaw Wireless Probe and Tool setter. Just some notes I kept to help me from time to time.

John
    Attached Files Attached Files

That is super helpful having a good description of the probing procedures.

You don't happen to have the doc's for the calibration procedures do you ?

Thanks

I have been using my probe for about 6 months and wouldn't ever want to work without it. I was in the same situation though, having to figure it all out myself. Here is a link to this forum that helped me:

http://cnczone.com/forums/showthread...353#post416353

I also have a pdf of all the macros for the probe along with the variables and settings that are required. I called Renishaw and their tech emailed it to me I can send it if you want, just email me. My advice would be to call tech support, they are usually very helpful. You could also call your local HAAS dealer.

Thanks I did read through that thread and it was helpful, I also got Haas to send me the book on it witch also helped quite a bit as well.

Quote Originally Posted by inertialabs View Post
    I would appreciate any paperwork you have if it is not to much trouble.

I have been playing with it and it does appear to be pretty straight foreword but I would hate to do something dumb and mess it up.

Is the calibration process very difficult ?

Thanks
    Sorry for the delay Here is what came with the vf11

Thanks for your help, I seem to have the basics figured out but it is always great to be able to look at the manual when you need answers.

Renishaw WIPS system

The attached pdf provides more information on the use of a Renishaw probe with the WIPS system than given in the Haas quick start guide.

Thank you

Thanks for the PDF that is a real good thing to have

I learned yesterday that the XY calibration (with a ring gauge) depends on spindle orientation. In other words, once it is calibrated, if you manually remove the spindle probe you must return it oriented the same way with the drive lugs on the spindle.

If you lose track of this, you must re-calibrate. The ruby on the end does not run true.

Probe removal

I learned yesterday that the XY calibration (with a ring gauge) depends on spindle orientation. In other words, once it is calibrated, if you manually remove the spindle probe you must return it oriented the same way with the drive lugs on the spindle.

If you lose track of this, you must re-calibrate. The ruby on the end does not run true.
    I have also found thes to be true. I put a mark on the front side of the probe when it was originally installed in the spindle after calibratioon. I always make sure the orientation is correct anytime I remove and reinstall it in the spindle.

You are welcome to visit my website gallery. I have a couple Renishaw Wireless Probe videos that you may find useful. http://www.helicopterjohn.com/gallery/

John

If you find yourself to where you don't know which way to index your probe just put an indicator on it. When I first installed my (demo) probe in the machine I put the dial ind. on and it was out. Switched the orientation and it was dead on.

Tim

As far as the probe orientation goes there are 4 set screws (2mm hex) around the body. These are used to adjust concentricity of the stylus (similar to a tru-set lathe chuck). I adjust mine on our Parlec pre-setter, but this varies slightly from the pre-setter spindle to the machine spindle. I ALWAYS install the probe and any other tool for that matter with the spindle oriented (MDI M19 or spindle orient button) and the drive lug side with the indentation towards me. I have a side changer, but the umbrella changer can be oriented left or right, whatever you prefer. I'll then calibrate the stylus to the machine. I usually have up to .0007 on either the X or Y offset variables (#556-57 I beleive). I've never had problems positioning based on a probe reading, at least within the machine's accuracy, using this method. The only time I've found that the stylus needs to be trued dead zero is for vector measurements that are out of the 30 degree vector calibration points (reading at 20 deg vs 30 deg). If the probe is always installed in the same manner the calibration data will remain effective, but orienting the spindle is very important. If the probe has been out of the machine for a while, I'll re-calibrate. Same for any axis/spindle maintenance and certainly after any crash or stylus damage.

I spoke to a Renishaw rep last week at Eastec and he confirmed some observations I've made during production runs. The spindle should be nice and stabilized (warmed up) to ensure the best accuracy and/or calibration. I'll run a full part cycle (minus parts) including coolant before running production in the morning to get everything warmed up. The parts I run are generally very high tolerance so if your tolerances aren't very tight, this might not matter as much, but for me it makes all the difference in the world. With everything dialed in good a .5000 +.0002/-.0000 bore measures within .4999-.5003 on average (Pretty good considering the machine's positioning accuracy is +/-.0002 on each axis). If I see a larger variation I know it's time to recalibrate...or lathe room screwed up..(chair)

Hope it helps a bit.

Greg