584,842 active members*
4,512 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > OneCNC > 3d solid from wireframe

3d solid from wireframe

I am trying to make a solid from imported dxf wireframe with no sucsses,
    can anyone explain what steps should I take ?
    using one2000 miill pro.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thumbs up

You can't that is a dxf mesh file. You need less line to use as boundaries for a skin or something like that.

You DXF was a very simple shape. I would just redraw it from the start in the software.

Regards,

Impossible???NO!

Practicle????NO!!!!

You'de be better off just drawing it in your package. Poly modelers dont make good Cam Models.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	toolpath.JPG 
Views:	76 
Size:	111.7 KB 
ID:	75705
    Attached Files Attached Files

In OneCNC, you can import an stl mesh file and machine it. But there is no way to make the stl into a solid model in OneCNC, because, I suppose, doing so requires accurate data about surface boundaries which the stl does not contain except in the form of each triangle. You'd need different algorithms to convert stl into some sort of a solid, and even then it would only be a guesstimate of the original model's true design. OneCNC makes no apologies for being a NURBS based surface modeller, because that is part and parcel of their development intentions.
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Exclamation

That has nothing to do with what we are talking about.

He needs to profile the shape, and you can't extract a 2D wire frame boundary from an STL mesh in BobCAD. I am sure that you can't do it in onecnc either.

He could do a Z level finish, but in most cases you would want more control over how you are cutting and because it's just a 2D profile you would want to use cutter comp ( G41/ G42 ) which Z level finish doesn't have.

The original poster said nothing about how to machine it. He asked about turning it into a solid model. That is why I explained that it cannot be done in OneCNC because it does not have the functions for that.
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Wink

Sorry about that, you're right. And we both agree. I guess I was looking deeper into the questions. Why would you want the file as a solid? I believe which I may be wrong, he wanted to machine the part and though that it needed to be a solid to do so.... I am not sure.

But either way I know you have lots of answers and are very good with software.

Talking

Hello, thought I would add my 2 cents here in the hopes that it may be of assistance.

1.) You can load an STL into OneCNC, save as IGES, Step, SAT Etc, then load back into OneCNC. You will find that all of the edges have loaded as lines. However, don't look for arcs, please remember, STL files are triangular meshes. Having said this, arcs can then be easily created via fillet or through existing points.

2.) You can also load an STL into OneCNC and create lines, points, construction planes Etc from the native STL verticies. Arcs can then be created via fillet or through existing points. In fact, anytime OneCNC provides a snap to "EndPoint" option, you can use native STL verticies.

Hope this was of assistance!

Best Regards
    OneCNCWest

Yes that was very helpful. So you can save out an STL as an IGES and OneCNC will convert it to surfaces. That's cool. Then you can extract the wire frame and use it to create a series of curves ect.

Do you have a feature that converts a series of line segments into arc segments. Like an arc fit feature?