585,748 active members*
3,673 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAD Software > Solidworks > Changing dimensions in drawings doesn't update model?

Changing dimensions in drawings doesn't update model?

when I try to change a dimension in a drawing it doesn't update the model. the only way for me to manually change the dimension in a drawing is to check the 'overide dimension' checkbox.

You'll have to 'allow' the drawing to change model and sketch dimensions.

In the drawing INSERT--> Model Item ---> Dimensions

Then you can change those imported dimensions and then update the model.

Warning though. I don't recommend it. I've seen too many drawings where someone just overode the dimension on the drawing but never bothered to change the model dimension. It's best habit to do all the changes in the model and sketch.

well if you change the dimension in the drawing you stated then this will automatically update the model so no worries there.

but.. using the 'insert model items' command I have found it puts dimensions all over the place on the drawing so I basically need to go back and delete most of the dimensions then manually add them again using the smart dimension tool.

there must be another easier way to tell a certain dimension to update the model upon being changed in the drawing..

It only puts in the dimensions in the manner that you create them in your sketches.
    The drawing tutorials would have shown you that the shift key allows dimensions to be dragged between drawings.
    www.integratedmechanical.ca

you mean holding down the shift key allows me to drag a dimension from a sketch into a drawing?

no, the shift key will allow your to drag a dimension from one drawing view to another.

You can also limit the dimensions which get imported by selecting them in the model, import to drawing.. [or something similar to that.. ]

The only way you can ever have drawing dim's updating the model is if you import them from the model..

Adding a dimension to a drawing does not control the model.. reason being is that the drawing dimension may not be on the same entities that the actual controlling [in the model] dimension is.. so then who/which 'has control'..? By importing them.. you're bringing the controling dimension into the drawing and just 'accessing' the model via that dimension.. to change it's size..

Hope that makes sense..

J
    JerryFlyGuy
    The more I know... the more I realize I don't
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

mark for drawing

In model view right click the dimension(s) you want displayed and check "mark for drawing." Then when you import the model items you can select the "marked for drawing" import option.

There ya go.. that was the one I was thinking of..
    JerryFlyGuy
    The more I know... the more I realize I don't
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)