585,992 active members*
5,588 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking > WoodWorking Topics > Ok Newbie :) Resetting Home after a Fault

Ok Newbie :) Resetting Home after a Fault

As I have no tool changer, frequently, I have to break up my cam files by tool type. On this current project, switching to a small bit for some fine detail, I inserted the bit too far into the spindle (ok ok so this was not the first time)... As soon as the router plunged on the first cut zap the over limit switch triggers, the router faults and resets to the default home forgetting my precisely eyeballed zeroing on the edge of the material....

So how do you all manage to reset home to something +- as few a thousandths as possbile?

BTW last time I tried to restart I was an impressive 1/8 inch off...

In the past couple of hours I thought of perhaps mounting a laser pointer on the gantry taping a paper with a dot at the home position...

What do you all do? Or does your machine accomodate maintaining the home even after a fault?

Thanks
    Dave

Thanks for not flaming me too bad with the obvious.... as I am new all of this.

I slept and woke thinking duh... the machine has an SZ command which reports current position if I write that down before zeroing the table on the edge of the material I can always go to that postion then set that as home position.

Sleep can be a wonderful thing!

Dave

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Anxious View Post
    Thanks for not flaming me too bad with the obvious.... as I am new all of this.

I slept and woke thinking duh... the machine has an SZ command which reports current position if I write that down before zeroing the table on the edge of the material I can always go to that postion then set that as home position.

Sleep can be a wonderful thing!

Dave
    And the other thing, which I have not tried yet... printers when they print color need to do multiple color on presses use a + mark(s) on the edge of the paper. I'm assuming they have someway to align this when they are setting up for the next run on a color change. You could do the same thing, and have a needle or some other pointer (on the Z carriage) you could line up the the same spot each tool change.

If I was not down with a cold, I'd be out right now getting my router table set up in the shop. It is a IM Service 12 x 24 table using DeskCNC controller and software, which I have used before... the controls that is.

Thank you George and everyone else too!

Thanks George,

It is funny, I picked up this router table from a guy that was clearing out his warehouse to make room for a new tenant. But since Todd from Innovative Accents nudged me into action, I've learned more about this table in the past 7 days than I did the first 7 months.

I really appreciate all the input you guys that have been doing this share, because honestly, while learning by doing is invaluable, a little steering here and there from everyone here saves countless hours and advils (headaches).

Thank you all (since many of you will never know how many of your posts I've read and learned from your sage advise)!!!

And George I hope your cold goes away quickly and thanks for using your down time to help me!

Dave

On my router most of the work is done with bits that have a nice little collar on them. I set them to be about the same amount of protrusion by eye. Then when they get put in the machine, they are repeatable each time they go into the spindle.

Mike
    Warning: DIY CNC may cause extreme hair loss due to you pulling your hair out.

Collars

That would certainly have eliminated the fault before I ever got it. I don't have any bits with collars so far, but I could easily put a little tape or even some fingernail polish from my wife/daughter as a reminder not to insert the short bits too far.

Thanks for the excellent tip!