584,837 active members*
5,406 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Fadal > Tool change and H offset?

Tool change and H offset?

Hello, I am new to using Fadals. I recently picked up a 2nd job running this guys Fadal 4020 w/type 88 controller at night. Currently I am manually touching off each tool (tool 0)then setting the Z at the tip of each tool using the SETZ command.

I am sure there is a way to have it remember a tool lengh correct? and use the tool changer?

It is easier for you to read the tech manuals...

Then it would for one of us to explain it simply to you. Don't get me wrong, it is easy to setup and do, but you need these details.
    www.fadalcnc.com/fadal_Tech_Docs1.htm is one site that you can pull them up from. Then post again for your questions. My suggestion anyway, and that way what we say, will make more sense.
    Steve

you can call me my number is 660 277 3366 around 9 o clock on thursday morning get where you can be at your machine and talk on the phone i will walk you through it there is a page on the control that you enter in the tool #s and it will put them in the spindle for you you put in the height block size and touch it to the block hit manual and it will get the next tool in the sequence just give me a call i will help you out . Don N.

Scadvice, Thank you for the Links to the manuals, They will come in very handy. I do not know crap about this machine and the Owner doesn't know much about it either to I am sure these will be nice to reference.

Dayjob...
    My experience is about 12 years on Fanuc18M,Acromatic 850 and 2100 controls( I do tool design with Unigraphics and programming the mills via WorkNC, last January we laid off the dayshift setup/operators and I have been running the mills again as well,back to my roots... ).

Night Job
    On the Fadal type88 I can zero out my block and feed programs to it via Assist but thats about it. The manuals will come in very handy as I like to know the whys as well as the how to's.
    What I have been doing sofar is using Manual-> SETX SETY and touching my tool tip off on a Gage block, then SETZ , manually jogging the Z the height of the block then SETZ again. It's been working sofar but some jobs it's a pain.

Donnelson, thank you for the offer, I wont be "at the mill" until 4-5PM eastern time. I did see that the shop in the bay next door had a 4020 in it and asked their operator about it. I think I have what I need, though it seems the ATC is not working, it wont cycle around. The owner said it worked when they set up the machine. Time to look at those manuals ... But I think I can at least touch off my tools and load them in manually using the SL 1, -1 (touching off 1" block off the workpiece). SL2, -1 etc... then just use for tool 1 G54G43Z1.H1 in my program and leave out the toolchange commands.

I am central time so that would be fine around 3 pm, if you need give me a call
    donnelson