585,715 active members*
3,867 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > Spindle speed with doors closed

Cool Spindle speed with doors closed

We just purchased a used 2004 VF-3SS, and think I have figured out the control except the fact I can't get more than 750 rpms with the doors open. I understand the whole safty thing, but would really like to run my egdefinder with the doors open. My eyes are not what they use to be. Anybody know how to change this?

Thanks

Turn setting 51 on.

Setting 51 turns ON the door override and resets to OFF at power up. The feeds will also run and a program will continue running with the door open with it ON. It is risky.

You can increase the door open spindle speed in Handle Jog by going into the Parameters and finding Door Stop Spindle and Max RPM Door Open; or something like this. I think these are under Common Switch 57 but I do not have a manual to check.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Quote Originally Posted by Geof View Post
    Setting 51 turns ON the door override and resets to OFF at power up. The feeds will also run and a program will continue running with the door open with it ON. It is risky.

You can increase the door open spindle speed in Handle Jog by going into the Parameters and finding Door Stop Spindle and Max RPM Door Open; or something like this. I think these are under Common Switch 57 but I do not have a manual to check.
    Geof,
    This is the second thread that I have read where you suggest against running with the door open, for safety reasons. Which is very understandable. For my own curiosity has some extremely scary incident happened with the door open? Personally I don't like the taste of coolant, but I couldn't imagine setting a job up without the door open. (Lots of confidence in your software?).

By the way how do you drag the icons into the middle of your post? I drag and I get MS DOS, or an HTTM address. Robert

Quote Originally Posted by littlerob View Post
    Geof,

...... For my own curiosity has some extremely scary incident happened with the door open?

Personally I don't like the taste of coolant, but I couldn't imagine setting a job up without the door open. (Lots of confidence in your software?).

By the way how do you drag the icons into the middle of your post? I drag and I get MS DOS, or an HTTM address. Robert
    Scary incidents have happened with the door closed; who hasn't had them happen? I prefer to keep fragments of part, tool and machine inside and potential fragments of body outside.

It is not difficult to setup with a closed door. I think I explained in another thread that it is dead simple to single block through Graphics with the machine position display on and record the closest approaches to the chuck, etc., then handle jog to these positions and check clearances.

If confidence in software means CAM software confidence is irrelevant, I don't use CAM just hand coding.

I don't understand your comment about dragging icons.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Scary certainly, terrifying occasionally, I personnally could never run with the door override ooff, but I understand your concern for safety.

I figured out the icons thing never mind, Robert

Ive been setting up and programming vertical mills for 15 yrs. At present,im dealing with a Haas VF3 w/ probe. Probes are awesome.
    You can override the door safety with setting 51.
    Once you override, the mach. will move and cut with doors open or closed,much caution is requied. You could get a face full of coolant or shrapnel.
    I override my door everyday. I set up the mach. and even watch some cutting with the doors open. You have to have an insane amount of trust in your program and set up to get by with this. I have had some near miss but nothing worth mentioning. Just be sure to use your single block and override the rapid moves as needed when doors are open.

setting 51, door hold override ON. It's reset when turn off!

You can actually by pass the whole settings 51 thing, by doing the following.

On older mills, a pc jumper is all that is required...on the I/O pcb there is a connector I believe P38, remove the plug from the board and install the jumper on the two pins. The connector has more than 2 pins, jumper the pins corresponding to the door switch. (this can be checked with an ohm meter on the outer two wires on each side with the doors open and closed). I have a pic somewhere, when I find it I'll post it.

On the newer mills with the "Cycle Door" notification if the doors are left closed on Power on. This requires a little bit of wiring and a time delay relay set to delay on at about 42 seconds. Coil is wired to the 110V, and will receive power on power on, then the contacts of the relay will close after the delay time. The only draw back to doing this is that the "tool release" button on the contol is deactivated (a smart move by Haas - this way you can't relase a tool with the doors closed), but the button on the spindle still works.

Sam