585,987 active members*
4,436 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Okuma > Okuma Howa Vs Okuma

Okuma Howa Vs Okuma

How do Okuma Howa machines stack up against Okumas. I am considering buying an Okuma Howa but am not familiar with them and was wondering how they perform.

They're excellent, in my experience (vertical twin-spindle lathe, two horizontal machining centers).
    Software For Metalworking
    http://closetolerancesoftware.com

hi there,

I am not 100% sure, but i think the Okuma Howas has only fanuc, not OSP Controls.

Hi,

Okuma & Howa used to be a sister company of Okuma since the late 70's or very early 80's. During that time, some of their hardware was shared between the two companies. About 2 years ago, Okuma and Okuma Howa merged into one company. They currently share more of the hardware, but the primary difference between the two products is the controls used and distribution channels.

Okuma & Howa use FANUC controls and Okuma uses their own control, OSP. Okuma Howa machines are imported by KGKI (Buffalo Grove, IL) and sold through their dealers in North America and Mexico.

Chris

Boy this is an old thread but here is a quick update for those interested. KGKI no longer exists. Everything is now done out of Okuma America in Charlotte NC. The Howa name is no longer on the machines and they appear just like the standard Okumas. They are termed "Konan machines" as this is where they are built in Konan Japan. They still have the same models but the appearance is like the standard Okumas as mentioned with the main difference being you can now get the Konan line with either the Fanuc or OSP control, your choice.

Okuma Howa OSP

I never seen Okuma Howa with Fanuc control. Just heard about it. We have a lot of old Okuma Howa's machines here, in Baltic states. They are accurate, reliable, serviceable. Support is still very good. Only problem is machine serial numbers for some of them Sure, they are second- hand, all of them.
    Concerning controls, they had Okuma Howa control some time. "OH-OSP-WLG" for instance. Looks pretty much like OSP5000