585,741 active members*
5,270 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thin aluminum bending

I have a project that I need to bend thin, 0.025, aluminum. Most pieces will just be a 90 degree bend, no problem there. The question I have is on the pieces that have a 45 degree bend - the 45 degrees is on the outside of the "V" shape - am I describing that right?

The pieces are 1.5" x 3", after the 90 bend they will be 1" x 3" - the one with the 45 is 2" x 3" and will be 1" x 3" after the 45 bend.

I was hoping to get by with an inexpensive brake but I don't know about the 45 degree bend. Is this something a cheap brake can do?

I don't have a way to include pics tonight but can tomorrow, if that would help.

Thanks,
    Gary

If the brake can do 90 degree bends it can certainly do 45 degree bends. It all depends on how close to 45 degrees you need to be.

The inside and the outside should both be 45 deg after the bend unless I completely don't understand what you are trying to do.
    Mike
    Warning: DIY CNC may cause extreme hair loss due to you pulling your hair out.

Quote Originally Posted by TOTALLYRC View Post
    unless I completely don't understand what you are trying to do.
    Mike
    Only true because I didn't explain myself very well...

Here is a picture of what I need to end up with.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 45.jpg  

A very easy bend on a brake..even a cheap Harbor frieght shown here http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...266&pricetype=

Quote Originally Posted by blackbeard52 View Post
    A very easy bend on a brake..even a cheap Harbor frieght shown here http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...266&pricetype=
    That brake says it can bend up to 120 degrees - won't that leave me with a 60 degree angle?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 45 and 60.jpg  

A cheap and dirty way to make that brake work would be to add a shim to the bottom die (the one that swings towards you as you're bending). You could also place the pcs in the brake and squeeze them the last 15 degrees also.

Mike

Oh OK sorry for that brain fart..... here is one that will do the job... a little more but will bend to 135degrees http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=45877

and another that is cheaper but will certainly do 20 ga. and 135 degrees http://www.wttool.com/product-exec/p...ake_WT_Import_

Quote Originally Posted by LaserImage View Post
    Only true because I didn't explain myself very well...

Here is a picture of what I need to end up with.
    I would call it a 135 degree bend, but I haven't had my coffe yet. It all depends on your point of view. Mine is usually wrong.

Most of the small brakes will bend this, you would have to just make sure because it is near the limit of how far I have seen them bend.
    Warning: DIY CNC may cause extreme hair loss due to you pulling your hair out.

another way you can do it is to build a die set and use a press, even an arbor press would work with ow thin the material is. we make them out of aluminum all the time

Don't forget that depending on the alloy, you have a minimum bend radius (the radius at the apex of the bend). If you try to bend the material with a smaller raduis, it will crack. If you need a larger radius that the nose of the brake, just wrap a piece of amterial around it to give you the radius you want. Also be sure you bend aluminum across the grain if you have a choice. (the grain runs with the mill markings) If you are making 2 bends 90 degrees from each other (i.e. a box), lay out the flat plate on a diagonal.

If you use the proper bend allowance and set back for the radius and thickness, you can make a very accurate flat plate layout. Here is a site with info for calculating bend allowance http://www.engineersedge.com/bend_allow_calc.htm

David

Thanks to everyone for the help. I bought the HF brake and made some prototypes - they turned out perfect!

Gary