585,970 active members*
4,299 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

All-in-one control box?

I'm assembling a DIY router table, (build log below,) and I'm getting ready to build out the control box.

I happen to have a steel panel-box originally intended to house a home alarm system. It's pretty large, and could maybe hold EVERYTHING: Geckos, motor power supply, computer motherboard, and computer hard drive. Probably an opto-isolated breakout board. The LCD display and keyboard shelf will mount on the outside of the (hinged) door panel. E-stop button will be mounted in door panel also.

I recognize the need to keep the motherboard electrically isolated. Now I'm wondering if putting everything in one box -may- be an opportunity to receive another painful dose of "learning the difference between can and should". What do you folks out there think? Is there anything else (maybe the Geckos) that should be isolated from chassis ground? Is there some reason why any of these components should NOT reside in the same box? (I'm not stupid, but I'm admittedly ignorant in such matters.)

Build Log: http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56553

I was just about to post the exact same question. I don't see any reason why this wouldn't work, except maybe the possibility of electrical noise generated by the various power supplies.

I am curious to see what others have to say about this because it sure would be nice to have everything in one single box instead of two boxes with wires running between them.

Gary

Silence = silence

Yup. I guess the only way to find out is to go for it. Noise between subsystems is exactly the part I've been most curious about. I look at commercial systems and I see them built into one box. At the low end, there's the Sherline 8540 CNC mill that puts the stepper power supply -inside-the-computer-, so we know at one level that this works. (I'm sure that stepper DC supply is shielded, dunno whether the stepper controller card is shielded from the computer environs. Photo, anyone? Please?) Then at the other end, there's the Tormach PCNC 1100.

My plan going forward is to take care with safety ground, and keep operating grounds separated, and see what I get.

Onward! Let's find out!