584,837 active members*
5,372 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Stellite machining

Dear all:
    I am cutting stellite 6, but so many difficultys@_@. e.g. wearing, tipping and breaking of tools, parts deformed etc.
    I'm sure here are friends who have experience in cutting this stuff and i beg your suggestion of the hour. any info about tools or machining parameters is greatly appreciated。
    Thanks a lot.
    Andrewchin

Yeah, REALLY REALLY SLOW. I've machined Stellite, Hastaloy, Mastaloy and other nickle alloys, no fun unless your working for someone else.

Cermet inserts and carbide drills... Hope your turning it, and not in interupted cut, I would hate to mill that stuff.

I really appreciated your assistance, i have tried to use ceramic tools, but they were all damaged easily all the time。 would you explain in details about the model of tools.
    thanks very much.
    Andrewchin

What are your symptoms? What SF are you running...speed feed.... Most materials like this require a low speed high feed. 50-70sfm .005 chip load IIRC
    We have had good luck with our Fadals milling mostly soft steel and aluminum up to 5 axis. We are always looking for spare parts If you have a broken down Fadal give a shout.

ask an iscaar rep?

Quote Originally Posted by Andrewchin View Post
    Dear all:
    I am cutting stellite 6, but so many difficultys@_@. e.g. wearing, tipping and breaking of tools, parts deformed etc.
    I'm sure here are friends who have experience in cutting this stuff and i beg your suggestion of the hour. any info about tools or machining parameters is greatly appreciated。
    Thanks a lot.
    Andrewchin
    I took a high speed milling class at Macomb community college here in Michigan. A high level iscaar rep taught the class. Often they will come out to your shop let you try out tooling and they always solve your problems.

I know this is an old post, but I machine stellite 6 on a haas vertical mill. The tools that seem to last the longest are uncoated solid carbide, with a very low feed-rate.

need to use a .700 dia. insert drill, 1 1/2" deep. can somebody please reccomend feeds and speeds, please.

Re: Stellite machining

I know this thread is over a decade old but the only way I've found rather beneficial so far is using a 3/8 ball-mill with .005-.006 stepdown, .015 - .035 stepover and around 13800 RPM at 110 IPM (for roughing). The stellite we cut here is for trimmer dies for forging.
    This of course comes at a cost of tool life though, but if you're looking to get it done fast then this is the only way that's worked the longest. For finishing you can use a ballmill at regular speeds and feeds you normally would use for one. The step down should obviously be small for 3d profiling. Many tool reps say that ballmills last the longest since there's no corner to be worn and they've been correct about that. Certain tooling companies (ex. Moldino) have ballmills specifically for material rated 50-70 HRC & those cutting parameters are way different then what I run the cheap stuff at so disregard my advice if you're using one of those special ballmills.