585,715 active members*
4,077 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > CNC Machine Related Electronics > Limit Switch / Home Switch in Software

Limit Switch / Home Switch in Software

Hi all,
    I have a question about home and limit switches. So, when you think about it each axis need at least two limits and one home. Can the home on one side of the machine double as a limit aswell, so that you don't have to have an extra three switches on your machine? I think that this would be a software problem, but does TurboCNC accept this, do most programs accept this?
    Thanks.

Sanghera
    Turbocnc does not allow this up to V4 (unless you do some hacking and recompile:}), but it is built into V4.01 . Yes many of the programs do allow this and it works very well.

As a registered user, you can do a lot of neat things with the source code in TCNC which is one of the reasons I use it.

Bubba

Does turbocnc automatically do this then? or is it something I have to set up?

Jon

Jon,
    To set up home switches as limit switches, you will have to either wait for version 4.1 or use the original source code and write the code yourself in order to be able to do it.

Bubba

It's in the newest version of TurboCNC? You said it's built into 4.01, but we have to wait for 4.1? Or just a typo?
    Thanks.

No, that is not a typo.
    It is NOT in V4.0, but it is in V4.01 (I don't know a release date) as testing and verification is ongoing.

I hacked V3.2x and V4.0 to do exactly this, and it was not hard to do IF you are a registered user, you can do it. If you are using V3.x, I put my version up in the youhou group to handle limits as home and also enhanced G28 to allow a single axis homing for tool offset (lentgth) compensation on the fly.

Bubba

4.01 is in beta right now. It will be out shortly, and will do as you asked. Version 4.1 will include some even cooler features, such as constant velocity contouring and is not even in beta yet.

Eric
    I wish it wouldn't crash.