584,833 active members*
5,386 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Unhappy Spindle drive fault

Hey everybody!

This is my first post on cnczone so be gentle with me!

I have a Cincinnati Milacron 750 with Acramatic 850sx control. Randomly today the spindle stopped working. I had just put some new blanks in ready to be end milled (from what I gather a nice simple job...) and when i pressed the cycle start button the program started but the spindle didnt start spinning. It made a noise like the motor was trying to engage but then the machine clamps kicked in and the control displayed this message "Spindle Drive Fault" - Error Number 16541.

I am a complete beginner with this machine and have no idea what could be wrong. from a quick look through the forum on here I suddenly felt out of my depth lol.

It is strange because the machine was and has been working perfectly for the last couple of months! (my boss only bought it then)

Any advice or troubleshooting tips would be greatly appreciated!!!

Also, is there a directory of the error numbers for this machine? We also have a Fanuk OT lathe and in the manual for that there is a list of error codes and a brief explanation of what the error is. I have looked in the milacron manuals but I cant find them anywhere!

Thanks in advance,

Pete

update

I have just taken the casing off the head and found the spindle motor - after peering into where the belt is i can see the belt is still attached and seems to have some tension...

I also looked all over in the back cabinet but i couldnt see anything obviously wrong - I am about to test all the little fuses in there with a contuinuity tester....

wow - problem solved!

there was a dodgy wire in the spindle drive in the electrical cabinet which came loose and developed the error from "spindle drive fault" to "X,Y or Z axis Error" after sorting the wire our (i.e. - plugging it back into the connector it had come out of!" xyz error dissappeared and we were back to the spindle drive fault. we had a maintanence chap come round and he did a diode test on the spindle power supply drive and one of the terminals turned out not to register on the multimeter. we sent the drive off to a small electronics workshop and within 24 hours they have replaced the dead bits and i re-installed it this evening and it is all working fine!

the fan bearings in the bottom of the drive apparently had collapsed and this caused one of the electrical components to burn out. new fan cost £25ish, new component cost £20ish - final bill £80 ish...

I now have one very relieved boss and will be doing jobs on it all day tomorrow (touch wood!)

Thats one helava good feeling isnt it pete when all goes well with one of these computorised buggers that are surpposed to make life easier! good luck.

Talking

:rainfro:

sure is Greg! - all I need to do now is learn how to use the machine!

If anyone has any free advice/literature/hints/tips/knacks they would like to impart onto a "new-to-the-game" novice milacron user...please feel free to message me!

I have a cincinatti milacron hawk turning centre with a acramatic 2100 control pete but i dont think im any use to you as i think the controls are a bit differant,but if yours is as easy as mine to program you'll be laughing.