585,766 active members*
4,163 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > What's the cheapest cnc mill to learn on?
Page 1 of 3 123

What's the cheapest cnc mill to learn on?

I am looking for something full 3-axis cnc that is cheap, doesn't have to be big or anything, mainly just to learn on and use it to pratice posting g-code out of my CAM software to.. that way I can prove out my stuff before I touch larger cnc machines..

Quote Originally Posted by squale View Post
    I am looking for something full 3-axis cnc that is cheap, doesn't have to be big or anything, mainly just to learn on and use it to pratice posting g-code out of my CAM software to.. that way I can prove out my stuff before I touch larger cnc machines..
    How much is cheap???
    Warning: DIY CNC may cause extreme hair loss due to you pulling your hair out.

sub 3k?

I would look at these.
    http://www.taigtools.com/cmill.html

taig looks nice, only thing I don't like about them is that the spindle speed is NOT cnc adjustable.. you have to manually change belt pulleys to increase the speed of the spindle.

If you look at the Harbor freight KX1, the spindle speed IS adjustable via cnc

More important is the maximum spindle speed, especially on a small machine with small cutters..

Phil

taig looks nice, only thing I don't like about them is that the spindle speed is NOT cnc adjustable.. you have to manually change belt pulleys to increase the speed of the spindle.

speed not adjustable from cnc.

It is not a tough upgrade to get cnc controlled speed. A dc (treadmill) motor and a kbic or similar speed control and you are in business.

Mike
    Warning: DIY CNC may cause extreme hair loss due to you pulling your hair out.

A CNC controlled spindle is a pretty simple upgrade, as with a Taig you don't have to replace the spindle, only the motor. Surplus Center has a new surplus motor and speed controller setup for like $50 for the pair. There are a number of good ways to interface that with Mach3.
    It is a pretty commonly done upgrade as it is convenient and cheap. It certainly isn't necessary though - you almost never need to change the speed in mid-cut so it really doesn't save much time or hassle over the pulley setup. Its main advantage is that it shuts off the spindle when the cut is finished, which you can do for under $10 by simply adding a relay to the stock motor anyway.

Got my Sherline cnc at a Gov. auction $350

well my thoughts on the variable spindle speed is that I can control the spindle speed through a G-code program. But for instance on the TAig if I put a new variable speed motor on it, the thing I don't know is how you make that motor interface with whatever cnc control box they use on the taig?? wouldn't you need the spindle motor to be attached to the cnc controller box just like the other 3 axis's are?

*stepper monkey* thanks for the info on the PM about the Taig versus the KX1, sounds like you have some first hand experience with these two models. What I'm wondering however is, would it be cheaper to buy the cnc 'ready' taig and then add the stepper motors and drives myself or is it better to just buy the cnc equiped Taig unit? I think you are talking about a $1,200 difference there. But I'm not sure if Taig uses good quality stepper motors and drives if I buy the complete unit ready to go. Like would buying the cnc 'ready' option allow me to put on better quality motors and drives?

btw.. I don't think you can even get the KX1 or KX3 in the usa anymore.. Harbor Freight stopped carrying them.

It may seem a bit scarier to get the CNC ready option and hook the motors and controller up yourself, but it will save you a good $500 or more and you will actually be getting better components. So many people on here have done it the choices are easy and certain. The motors on the complete mill are good, but certainly not better than what you can buy yourself.

I think a Taig, a Gecko 540, a good 48v power supply, and a set of motors would be the better option for you. This is as easy to hook up as it is going to get, and is actually a better quality setup for a lot less money than a complete mill. Easy, just takes some labor to assemble.
    The motor speed control board is standalone, and is actually simply controlled from a signal wire directly to the computer itself through the parallel port breakout, it doesn't have anything to do with the stepper controllers. The only common tie is that the same software controls them. It can be added regardless of stepper controllers used, and can be added at any point. It isn't related to the stepper hardware. Again, seems scary, but actually quite easy with even basic mechanical and wiring skills, and advice from folks who have done it.

loco cnc has a variable speed spindle for Taig

check out: http://www.lococnc.com

They sell a Taig mill with a computer controlled variable speed spindle.

costs $279 more though and you must use their controller.

I have no personal experience but there is a blog at: http://www.nyccnc.com where a guy who is on this board has a neat setup in his apartment including the Lococnc Taig with a computer controlled variable speed spindle.

I don't know if LocoCNC is around anymore. The website is down but they also used to sell on Ebay so you can try there. Thier spindle worked great, but it and the competing Lane models for the Taig were both just assembled and wired versions of the ones you can make yourself in 20 minutes - they were simply assembled from the exact same couple of basic motors and controllers ordered from SurplusCenter.com! They just put them in a box, wired them up, and made the mount bracket for the Taig.
    If you want convenience, go for the locoCNC one, but you can build it yourself just as easy if you want to. I can show you pictures of mine if you want so you can see how it connects, it couldn't be easier to hook up. Not even any soldering necessary.

well I talked to the MicroProto people who make the cnc control box for the Taig cnc mills. He said they do NOT use Gecko drives in the control box but the drives they use are just as good as the Gecko drives. Is this true? I'm not sure what makes one drive better than the other.

anyhow, they have either the Taig with stepper motors or the Taig dsls with servo motors, which I read the servo motors are a waste of money.

So looking at their specials here: http://www.microproto.com/specials.htm
    I like the option package 3b for $2,545

This includes free shipping, a Mach3 license, bunch of tooling, then he will take another 15% off this price making it: $2,163 What do you think of that deal? Do you think I could still save money by buying the Taig cnc ready option, then buying the drives and motors seperately? Of note is that the cnc complete system includes a drive for the 4th axis rotary table if I decide later to put that on.

Now in regards to the adjustable spindle speed, really I guess this doesn't matter because on any of these smaller cnc mills, taig, sherline, etc.. the spindle speed can NOT be controlled via G code. It can only be controlled via a speed knob or through the Mach3 software as a manual control outside of the G-code program. I was looking for G-code controlled spindle speed but I guess that's not available in this size of machine, no big deal then.

any info or opinions on the MaxNC cnc mills compared to the Taigs? both built in USA and similar cost..

You can control speed in Mach through G-code. It is a bit trickier to set up, as it needs a little interface board added, but its there and available in the software. The interface board is commonly available and easy to install. Digispeed has one for well under $50 that will do just what you want.

MaxNC=fail. You don't wanna go there. There are a few people here who got stuck with them who can give you a great deal of advice on far and fast to run from the idea of getting one... I've been asked to try and salvage one before to get any function from it, and after looking at it was surprised they haven't been shut down by a state attorney general or hit with a class-action suit yet.

Stepper Monkey... what do you think of the prices I was quoted above? is it still much cheaper to buy the cnc 'ready' option then add my own drives, motors, control box, etc.? how much are all the components to buy and install? and are they MUCH better than the turn-key solution I posted above?

btw.. I don't want to have to edit any G-code in Mach3 for spindle speed or anything else. I use Solidworks for my CAD models, then import them into GibbsCAM which then outputs the g-code. I want to just load the G-code file into Mach3 and hit go.. I really am not going to use Mach3 for anything more than just taking my GibbsCAM g-code and sending it to the machine. So this is why I was wondering if the spindle speed can be controlled this way..

great site gov deals check out all the lathes they got .........

This might be just the ticket for learning:
    http://www.modularcnc.com/index.php?...id=41&cat_id=0
    Insanity "doing the same thing and expecting a different result"
    Mark

www.mcoates.com

Page 1 of 3 123