585,599 active members*
3,572 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Master and Slave servo

Hello

In need of information regarding this type of set up. Designing a 4'x16' moving gantry. The Gantry will be about 200-250 pounds, Thk blocks and rails. How would I size the servo's? What programs would support a setup like this?
    Oh yea, I'm new to this but I need a machine that size and commercial is way out of my price range. Advice or Criticisim Welcomed

Thanks
    Tony

Are you using a rack & pinion method for the X axis? If so you will certainly require some kind of gearing or reduction between the motor and rack. Both Galil and Acroloop motion control cards offer one axis slaved to another for master and slave servo operation for dual servo's on the X.
    Al
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Al

Thank you for your response, but all those boards are jibrish to me. Also reading about the software it doesn't seem compatable with the programs I've read about on this forum. I could/probably be wrong in that regard!

As for the travel on the gantry I'll be using the "Hiwin" precision ground screws. Tolerences have to be tight and the rack isn't that precise. Hiwin said i can get away with a single screw with a big motor.

The Ajax System looks good and reasonably priced. I'm wondering if that could handle the motor requirements. Any other thoughts would be helpful. :stickpoke

Thanks
    Tony

Quote Originally Posted by Builder

Also reading about the software it doesn't seem compatable with the programs I've read about on this forum. I could/probably be wrong in that regard!

As for the travel on the gantry I'll be using the "Hiwin" precision ground screws. Tolerences have to be tight and the rack isn't that precise. Hiwin said i can get away with a single screw with a big motor.
    Tony
    One of the forums here for compatible software packages that uses Galil is Camsoft.
    You did not indicate what type of gantry you are designing i.e. router, Plasma or....? and the degree of accuracy.
    When you indicated a travel of 16 feet I did not think you would be going with a screw. The vast majority of commercial router & plasma tables I have come across use rack and pinion, if meshing is done correctly they can be very accurate, also precision rack is available.
    Also for a gantry weight of 250lbs the inertia will be such that if you require a high feed rate with rapid acceleration you will probabally be in need of some kind of reduction between motor and drive.
    Al
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.