585,927 active members*
3,258 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > Crash reishaw Probe on Super MiniMill using IPS

Unhappy Crash reishaw Probe on Super MiniMill using IPS

Hello everyone,

I'm a newbie. I got a Super MiniMill with Renishaw probe about a month ago. The probe works great; I can't imagine working without it.

Yesterday, while using the Intuitive Programming System (IPS) to set my G55 work offset, I crashed the probe. I was using the “x-web” macro to set the x-coordinate, like I’ve done many times before. Both y & z values were undefined at this time. Normally, you position the probe in the center of the web, enter estimated width, press cycle start, and the tip of the probe taps the top of the work piece, and then goes left and right to probe the edges. But this time after I press cycle start, the probe dives itself straight down into the work piece, and shatters the tip of the probe. I had my finger on the feed hold button, so I was able to stop it pretty quick.

What’s up with that?
    Has anyone seen this happen before?
    Any ideas greatly appreciated.

I have a haas , and have seen this happen. Make sure you do a double rest ever time you run that probe or a program, so the control reset and clears itself.
    HAAS VF3-5 axis trunion
    Mastercam X3

I seem to remember reading somewhere (probably here) that the IPS Probing may have some bugs in it. I know that there have been a couple of versions of the VQC probing. My early version didn't allow you to select the pocket number for the probe. Some late versions lack some of the boss probing routines. I'd be willing to bet that something could be amiss in the IPS programming.

Are you sure that you were in G55 and not some other offset before it ran?
    Greg

Yes Greg, it was G55. I was setting up for my 2nd op.

No, what I was wondering is if you entered G55 but it picked up the G54 offset once it started the probing routine. I'm wondering if there is a bug in the IPS that runs just fine if you never use it for other offsets, then fetches the wrong offset value in its internal code somewhere. You may have uncovered a bug.

Has it worked before for G55 or is this the first time you've tried it?
    Greg

Greg,

Yes, it's worked before.
    I've used G54, 55, 56 and 57, one after another, for sucsessive clampings.

Maybe there's a bug in IPS, I've read comment to that effect.
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57259

Maybe I have a malfunctioning probe unit?

IPS sounds like it's crap. I've read a bunch of people having problems with it on here, particularly with probing.

If your machine has VQC, I'd stick with that for the probe cycles. They work. Every time. The screen is a little less pretty than the screenshots of IPS I've seen, but at least you know it's not going to kill your machine.

Here's a good site to get new styli: http://renishawstyli.com/M4_Styli/M4...ght_Stylus.htm Dunno how much Haas charges, but I can't imagine it's less than $80

Thanks Cory,

That's a good price, Ill go there next time. My dealer wanted $160 Canadian. I beat him down to $120. But, that's still a lot of money.

This exact scenario happened to me when my machine was brand new. I, at the time, was removing my spindle probe for 'safe keeping' when it wasn't being used and didn't realize that it had to be in the same tool number every time. I was lucky for about the first 10 times using it and then I loaded it in another tool number and used a probing subroutine. CRUNCH! The first chips I made on my mill were ruby! I know this seems routine to experienced users, but someone who buys their first mill doesn't automatically see this logic. Bottom line, which ever tool number you calibrate your probing sytem to (mine stays at T10), always make sure you call up that number (T10) to do the probing. Now I realize that coolant doesn't kill the probe and I leave it in the machine, cleaning it occasionally. Good Luck.

WGJ,

I've kept my probe in T10 since the start as well.
    It's too handy to not keep it in the tool changer!

Quote Originally Posted by Gus-Gus View Post
    WGJ,

I've kept my probe in T10 since the start as well.
    It's too handy to not keep it in the tool changer!
    I agree that it's handy to keep the probe in the machine, but sometimes it's not the best idea either. Someone else was using my machine, had just touched off with the probe, and went to run their program. They didn't have a G91 before their G28 and it smashed straight into the top of the vise at 1,000 IPM.

That was an expensive mistake.

Probe tips

It's been posted before but here it is again: there are probe tips available in the McMaster catalog for about $30.

And while we're at it: there is a guy on eBay who also sells those priceless batteries for $5 each, that Radio Shack sells for $20. Not on topic but kinda' related.
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Donkey Hotey View Post
    It's been posted before but here it is again: there are probe tips available in the McMaster catalog for about $30.

And while we're at it: there is a guy on eBay who also sells those priceless batteries for $5 each, that Radio Shack sells for $20. Not on topic but kinda' related.
    Wow I never even thought to look at McMaster-it seems like they're all M2 and M3 though. The OMP-40 is M4

There's a note next to it that says they're all available with the M4 thread:
    These styli and accessories mount into coordinate-measuring machine (CMM) probes. M4 threads for all items. Please ask for 85175A999 .
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Donkey Hotey View Post
    There's a note next to it that says they're all available with the M4 thread:
    Oops. I totally missed that. Thanks. I'm actually getting ready to purchase some right now-this will save us some money.