585,885 active members*
6,484 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Mac computers

I have heard that the Mac computers are much better then all the other computers. Are these computers less likely to crash and can the Mac accepted other software that may have been windows base? The reason for this question is that there seems to be a constanting problem with the vista operating system. If you were going to buy a new computer, what would you buy?

I would probably build one with Windows XP if I HAD to buy another. MAC is WAY over priced, but thier OS is much more stable than windows, and I dread the day that MicroSoft forces me to upgrade to Vista.

I use my Mac for CAD and gcode development (in fact everything other than the actual machine control). I run my cnc machines with EMC2 on Linux boxes. I have a copy of Windows XP on my Mac for when I absolutely have to run a windows program. I honestly cant remember the last time I had a Mac crash.

Alan

Hi Alan,
    Sorry to bother you, but I read a post of yours and thought you might be able to help me. I'm running a Tormach PCNC 1100 series II, Tormach "Mach 3" PC/Controller and it's killing me that I'm forced to use a PC for designing. I found your post after hours.... months of trying to find if there is a way.

The Mac I'm currently using is a PowerPC G5 (purchased in 2005) and I also own a powerbook G4. They're not intel base, and use an IBM chip.

If you think this can work, please email me back or PM me here.

[email protected]

If so, have you had any problems with generated G-Codes ?

What CAD/CAM programs do you recommend ?

I also PM'd you with the same questions, thought other might be able to use this information in the future.

Thanks
    Chris

I build my own Intel based PC systems and run Linux on them. Apples are made for artsy fartsy technophobic types with more money to waste than they're worth. Any more questions?

Now I have some for you, what does Vista have to do with hardware platforms? AFAIK even Apples are Intel based machines today. They just cost more, and have far fewer options going for them. Oh yeah, and that Steve Jobs guy is somehow involved with Apple too isn't he? I try not to enable others deviant lifestyles if I can.

anyone ?

I'm not going to say Apple sucks...

IF you want to spend extra for proprietary systems, and
    IF you don't plan on upgrading instead of replacing your system, and
    IF you don't want to run a lot of the available software out there, and
    IF you can find the software to perform your task for APPLE OS, and
    IF that software was written to standards so it wont crash on the APPLE OS...
    Sounds like you might want an APPLE PC.

Macs USED to be the go to machines for photo and video editing, because in the past the software was mainly developed for their proprietary hardware. You could even have spent THOUSANDS of dollars on a video card that had an on board processor and ram to perform photoshop filtering operations using the VRAM of the card at higher speeds than in PC memory... as long as the card had enough memory on it to fully contain the image being manipulated...

The old BSOD of Windows 98, that is still used used as fear mongering advertising by APPLE (Its like saying a new HONDA is safer than a FORD because the MODEL-T doesn't come with stock seat belts...)
    Anyways the BSOD on WIN95-98-ME was primarily because the OS was a co-operative multitasking system, and any one program could kill the whole system If it crashed (It would no longer be able to give the OS permission to do other tasks...)

WIN2000-XP-VISTA ETC... are pre-emptive multitasking... if an APP crashes the system is still in control. I can't remember when the last time I actually saw a BSOD on my system that wasn't DIRECTLY my fault because of messing around with video drivers to play games at higher frame rates... I know this because in the RARE occasion it would cause a crash, WINDOWS will tell you what caused the crash.... Usually an ATI VIDEO Driver not responding because I had overheated the card form Overclocking. It is not like the old days where the whole system would hang due to poorly writen 3rd party software....

AND LET ME JUST SAY..... I have worked with MACs both as an IS ADMIN. and as a user in an electronics firm for PCB DESIGN AND THEY DO CRASH... (OK I'm having flashbacks now)... The only reason they were using the MACs was because it was a Private Company and the owners and salesmen prefered them because they were "easier to give slideshows on"
    Anyways my point is that PCB design software crashed more than anything I have ever used in my life... I had to manually save a file on the network drive with just about EVERY click of the mouse, if I made a circuit change chances are I'd lose it (the change AND my mind) It would even crash during attempts to save the changes...Sure the MAC was still running (most of the time) but there was just a beep and an exclamation ICON on the screen... Program closed without a reason given...
    Like I was saying Its not so much the OS as the 3rd party software Installed on it the more poorly written software you install on a system the more chances something will conflict and crash. THAT IS WHY... Microsoft has gone with the space chewing method of storing DLLs and drivers for every single piece of software installed so that when the software runs it has the version of the driver it was written with available instead of the latest one installed by the last game/app you tried out from the net... Doesn't mean the developer didn't make a mistake in their code... but it reduces conflicts immensely.

As a summary...
    MS-DOS was so reliably stable because it ran one APP at a time... if that app crashed It generally was not the OS it was the APP... throw out that one piece of software and use something else.

MACS are supposedly stable (IMO) because - really - how much 3rd party software is out there to use on them... No software choices, less conflicts, less problems... Until recently most game developers wouldn't touch the MAC platform as most gamers were PC people... with the advent of the current Masively Multiplayer Online games they make so much in monthly subscriptions it makes sense to develop a MAC version for the PEEPS that prefer a MAC to a PC, and If you are the only available mainstream MAC game then even better to monopolize you with

WINDOWS is way more stable than it ever used to be because the co-operative kernel model is no longer used. Preemptive was originally used for SERVER and PROFESSIONAL workstations... Microsoft would be in an even better position today had they dropped Cooperative multitasking sooner.

Now all that being said, I'm not a huge fan of the marketing hype and monopolization tactics of both APPLE and MICROSOFT...
    If I could do everything I wanted without investing the extra time needed...(It's a learning curve like everything else...)

...I'D USE LINUX FOR EVERYTHING...

Which reminds me I need to look into Plasma Torch Height Control for EMC... Mach3 Is nicely polished / user friendly, but EMC is way more flexible with programing and has faster, smoother drive capabilities.

What happened to Windows 7? Isn't XP past its end of life now?

Owning a film company and using Macs for almost 14 years, I've had no major problems.... Why, well you need to learn how to maintain them properly. Yes both PC & Mac will have little hiccups here and there, but learning how to maintain your machine is key. Both systems use the same parts (hardware) and some parts of the os system are almost the same, however a mac system is designed a little better for the "operations it's intended to be used for". Creative arts (2D & 3D animation, Editing, Photoshop, composting, etc.. Macs are great for, CNC control machines no. Point of sale ( POS ) systems PC's work great, Macs no... well on somethings yes, but most no. It all depends on how you're using the computer.

Guys lets not turn this into a throwing contest and lets stay to the point.

After reading alot, I've found that you can run windows on a Mac, but it runs at half the speed. You can run windows on an intel system with parallels and on a powerPC with a program called "Virtual PC"

With all the talk about Mac able to run Windows. How come I don't see applications for Windows that run Mac OS?
    Wayne Hill