585,973 active members*
4,182 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

Interact 1 MK2 MT1-1 board(KTK drive)

I have posted questions about his machine in the past. It is basically a new machine, it doesn't have a chip on it and I doubt it has been ran since it was initially delivered.
    I haven't been able to get back to it for a while but started looking at it again today. I had the power on and had zeroed the axis's then was interrupted for a bit. When I came back I smelled the dreaded electrical burning smell. Upon looking around I found that the MT1-1 board has burned up a few component's. I was told that there were problems with this board(transformer) and this should be the first place to look for problem I was having in getting the spindle to run.

1)The easiest solution is to replace the board but are there any out there?it has a part number on it, 1551469
    2)Is there another spindle drive board that will work?cost?
    3)An electrical engineering type friend said he could probably repair it if I could find either a wiring diagram for the board or the identification of the big, round blue part just above and to the left of the transformer. I suspect the transformer will need replaced but don't have any specs on it either and it may be the hardest part to get.
    4) the components that appeared to get "hot" are3 and D4, maybe R24 and definitely the 3 components directly above them(toasted).

Any ideas or other solutions to this "problem"?

Thanks for all your help in advance, Brian

I may have the same machine as this. Can you post a picture of the board and the area in question? Maybe I can identify the parts.

I was wondering if I could replace the KTK drive, (the MTI-1 board and what else needs replaced?) with the mentor drive, I understand they used those also and didn't have as many problems with them, as I said my board is toast and I am not having any luck finding a replacement or someone to repair it. I hate to toss out a machine that probably has less than 10 hours on due to this, any ideas? PLEASE HELP
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 151_5130.JPG  

You may want to pursue KTK help in the UK. There is none here in the US.
    Otherwise, you can call EMI. I believe they are selling spindle drives to replace the obsolete one. Just be sitting down when you hear the price. I recall that a Mentor may have been used on a 308. Interact 4 used a Contraves and then switched to the KTK. With an Italian motor. Go figure.

George
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

I have been trying to persue help from the UK, still waiting for another reply. When I had been in contact with the service department over there earlier they emailed me some troubleshooting info, turned out it was for use with the mentor2 drive, that;s why I wondered about it.
    Not familiar with EMI? Is my best bet to just to sell it as scrap and cut my losses now?the machine is brand new, probably has less than 10 hours on it and never got past the initial run off than has sat for the last 18 years or so, thanks.

I had the same problem on my machine in the spring and last September I worked with a guy in the UK with the same problem. Not to get your hopes up, but I got mine going and I think he did too. Here is some info on the resistor, the stock one is available, but not in small quantity, I was able to get this one from Newark, the only difference is the lead spacing, there is enough wire to make it work:
    81K6294 3 In Stock 5.10 Film Capacitor; Voltage Rating:1000VDC; Capacitor Dielectric Material:Polyester; Capacitance:0.1uF; Capacitance Tolerance:+/- 5%; Lead Pitch:22.5mm; Package/Case:N; Series:160; Termination:Radial Leaded RoHS Compliant: Yes 160104J1000N-F
    The info on the other component is: I don't know how much help this will be. The component was marked with P/D,
    this looked like a brand logo. Underneath it had Z44OG.
    I have the e-mail of the guy in the UK if that is needed for more info.

Control Techniques who took over KTK drives many years ago no longer support them.You could replace it with a Mentor,but unless you have a Mentor drive spare or can find one cheaply,it is not going to be a very cost effective repair.
    There are people who repair KTK drives in the UK.My personal recommendation is Machine Support Services.
    This is because the guy who owns the company is a drives engineer,he has test rigs where he can check and prove the quality of repair.Additionally he supplied Bridgeport with a modified field control card for these drives which has proved to be infinitely more reliable than the original KTK board.
    I have repaired these boards myself,bought the components from Machine Support Svs.
    Ok,it was slightly more expensive to buy from him than the local supply house,but I got the correct spec part for the repair and advice and assistance.
    My personal choice for a retrofit drive for one of these would be a Eurotherm 590.Smaller ones are more common and cheaper on the used market than Mentors.

KTK Drive

Did you get this machine running? What did you end up doing? I have a similar machine and I am having trouble with the spindle drive not starting at rpm's above 1200. It acts like it doesn't have the power.

The big blue part is a varistor. It has high resistance at low voltages, and low resistance at high voltages. Usually used as a surge protector, i.e. it dumps high voltage surges to ground, but doesn't allow normal voltages through.

I just got my Interact 1 Mk.2 powered up, and got the "relay ext. DC voltage missing." What to do now?

Kevin

The Emergency stop button if pushed in when powering up will give that alarm. Otherwise it is a bad 24 VDC power supply. There are 2 in the machine.

George
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

DC voltage missing

I had the same thing and replaced one of the power supplies. You can use an off the shelf item. If it is the emergency stop, make sure it is out and press the yellow button and then the green one once for each axis as it passes over the axis reference. If the parameters are out of the machine and had to be put in you will have to put some numbers in for the axis end of stroke and so on. I got help over the phone from Heidenhain, but there may be someone reading this more knowledgeable about the details than I am.

As a matter of fact, the E-stop was pushed in when the machine was powered up. I'll try again later today. Where are these 24v supplies? What do they power? Thanks for the replies!

Kevin

24v power supplies

There are 2 and they are just to the left of the main control switch. They have square alunimun covers. If this thing hasn't been powered up for some time I bet there are some numbers needed in the mod screen to get it to pass over the reference marks correctly.

I'll check them. Do you have or know who may have the necessary parameters?

Kevin

Hi Kevin My machine gave me a 24 vdc missing last week I went to my trouble shooting manuel and it was low on way oil fill it up and alarm cleared just something to know .

David

What machine do you have? Whats in the trouble shooting guide? I'd love to get my hands on one.

In regards to the 24vdc supplies, I don't have anything in my cabinet with aluminum covers. There are 3 terminal-block type thingamajigs, one with a linear voltage regulator on it, ( and labeled "Reg.") and the other two have caps and resistors on them. Some of the resistors look scorched.

I tried yesterday to power up the machine and after it had been running for 2-3min., one of the caps on the thyristor board burned up. Lots of smoke. I'm now searching for some replacement caps.

I'm starting to fear I have an awful expensive paperweight.

Kevin

I have 1986 series 1 Interact with TNC 151a controls useing bridgeport Maintenance manual part # 1800001

Hi guys-

Last week I topped up the way oiler, and the control started up with no problems, no ext. DC voltage error, and then everything went dead. The machine tripped the 50Amp breaker its on, as well as the main breaker for the spindle drive. After resetting the main breaker, and leaving the spindle drive breaker off, the machine powered up fine, ran through the start up sequence, and homed each axis. I was then able to jog it around fine. So, I disconnected the motor leads, tested the motor with a borrowed megger, and it checks out ok. With the motor leads disconnected, it still trips the drive breaker. What to check now? Could I have a bad thyristor? What else could be shorted and large enough to trip the breaker? As a little bit of back story... previous to all this, one of the caps on the THY-1 board burned up, so I replaced them all. I find it hard to believe this is the cause of my shorting problems. So, maybe i shorted one of the big bus bars underneath the thyristor board. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Kevin

I can email you the maintenance course notes from Bridgeport for the KTK drive.
    Need email address.

George

So,

I checked the thyristors with an ohmmeter. No shorts to ground, not closed, couldn't tell if they were latching or not. Put it all back together, turned the machine on, and everything came on fine. No tripped breakers, no smoke. Programmed the spindle to start, and it makes about 1 rev and trips the drive. If I press the reset button on the FAC-1 board, it again makes about 1 rev and stops. Any ideas?

This afternoon I will go through the service notes George sent and see if I can come up with anything.

Thanks,

Kevin

Page 1 of 2 12