584,850 active members*
4,350 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

College Education

The next four posts are in reply to the thread “Electronic Component Explanation” in the Electronics Forum. I felt they are too far of the topic but needed to be said, so I placed them here.

Education and Common Sense:

The thing that actually scares me the most is something that I learned in between classes and in between lessons.
    Patrick;
    The Sober Pollock

First anecdote:

During an English composition class we were to learn to write opinions about current issues. The professor, God bless her, provided a list of about 50 different issues such as social security for each of us to choose from. A week later, after we had all turned in these compositions and the professor had read them, the professor devoted a two hour lecture to understanding these issues.

In a room with about 30 adults around the age of 20 the professor asked how many people know what social security is. Two of us raised our hands. She asked how many people in here are working and receiving a paycheck. Everyone raised their hands. Then she asked how many people have something called FICA withheld from their paychecks. Again everyone raised their hands. Finally she asked how many people know what that FICA is that your employers are taking out of your checks. Again, only two of us raised our hands. The only two who knew what social security was were the two who were 40 years old! None of the 20 year olds knew this!

Social security was only one of many basic issues these kids had absolutely no understanding of!
    Patrick;
    The Sober Pollock

Second anecdote:

A Mechanical Engineering graduate student was working on a research project that involved building a device out of perforated angle. When his advising professor noticed he seemed to be having difficulty, he asked if the student needed any help. The student then replied “I am trying to assemble this structure but when I turn the screw with the screwdriver, the thing on the back with the corners on it turns and the screw won’t tighten”. This 22 year old didn’t know that the “thing with the corners on it” was called a nut! He also didn’t understand that to keep the “nut” from turning he needed a wench!
    Patrick;
    The Sober Pollock

I didn’t make these anecdotes up, these types of things happened on a daily basis.

I firmly believe that these failings (and yes, they are failings) can’t be blamed on ANY educators, not College, High School, or Grade School.

When that kid said “the thing with the corners on it” in reference to a nut, the first thing I thought “Where was this kids father?”! You mean to tell me this kid never had to adjust the seat or handlebars on a bicycle when he was little? Or did someone just do these things for him and wait on him hand and foot? I really don’t get it!

How about the kids that didn’t know what social security was? What kind of conversations could possibly have been taking place in those homes for the 18 years these kids were growing up? Nobody ever talked about these things in front of these kids? I know a lot of adults don’t want to discuss things like politics, religion, etc. when they socialize. They treat it as some sort of “taboo”. But do they not realize that if no one ever discusses these things, no one ever learns anything about them? I don't get this either.

Those “Common Sense” failings of today’s young professionals are NOT the result of weakness in the education system.
    Patrick;
    The Sober Pollock

Actually, some of it can be blamed on our education system. Many stuedents are simply passed on to the next grade or level simply because the teachers don't want to deal with those who need a little more help than others. Some of the others, can be blamed on a society that has become lazy and quite simply does not want to get their hands dirty. One can also say the education system starts at home. Thank god both my wife and I grew up on small farms. I still to this day help my father-in-law out on his farm. So in turn my children are getting the "common sense" education so many are lacking.

One other thing to remember, too many people are willing to call the chidren and youth system anymore whan you try you try to teach your kids something through hard work or discipline. So how can the kids be taught anything when the government keeps putting there nose where it doesn't belong.

I can only talk about something like this in regards to my own experiences.

When I was graduating High School (1993) I was on the honor roll (barely) but had taken allot of "shop" classes. Auto, welding, machine shop, drafting etc..... and upon my senior year, they sit you down in front of the guidance counsiler. He asked me what I wanted to do with my life. I explained to him that I loved doing things with my hands, running machines, and welding. Upon that, he decided to tell me that those kinds of jobs "lead nowhere" and that I should be a doctor, lawer, etc...

Fast forward 12 years, and the guidance counsiler is still doing the same job, for the same money I bet, (what, $35,000 a year in our small Mid Michigan town), and I feel I have had great oppertunity and advancement compared to many that I went to high scholl with, that chose other more "pretigous" careers.

I went to Ferris State University, and got an Associates in Manufacturing Engineering Technology, and went into the field. The degree got me past the manual machine stage and I started making thermoforming molds on Hurcos. Fast forward 5 years, and I was offered a Applications Engineering job at Omat CNC Controlls. Now that has all advanced and I am selling Fadal, G+L, etc... and making a good living at it.

Every time I see Mr Shortz, I make a point to tell him where I have gone with my "poor decision". I have traveled to Isreal, Germany,, the UK, much less all over north america, and Alaska. And get paid to do what I love.

Many of these new phase shows (Monster Garage, OCC, Rides, etc.....) have put fabricating and machining back into the worlds eyes as being a good living. I know people that are CNC operators that make $100k a year. This is something that over the years, has gotten away from "status quo". Kids now would rather go type out C++ or Microsoft code than do something with their minds and hands. Society beats it into their head thay if they are not the CEO they have not done well.

When Mr Shortz asked me why, I proclaimed "it is not just the enjoyment of the job, but my brother, my father, my uncles, my grandfather (who was in the 1st UAW class of toolmakers, UAW ToolMaker #0008 on his card), all were machinist and welders." He just didn't understand.

This is exactly what I am talking about. I am a certified all position welder. I know more about hydraulics than any one person should. I am able to look at a machine and figure out how to duplicate it and even improve on it. I understand mechanical stresses. I could go on for hours about what I am able to do. Not bad for only being 30 years old.

My cousin is has a Bachelor's Degree in Electrical Engineering and has to call me to troubleshoot the wiring in his house. He'll spend hours on AutoCAD trying to figure out a simple solution to a problem that takes me about five minutes to do in my head. And I know alot of people who have degree's that don't know jack about their field. It seems to me that there is this big push to go to college for everything and anything. What is really bad is the fact that it is so hard to find a job without having that piece of sheepskin know matter what your experience level is.

I am a very intelligent person, but unfortunately barely made it through high school due to some of my teachers. Like 800MXZ said, one does not need a college education to understand some of the more advanced concepts out there today. Now don't get me wrong there are a lot of fields that do require advanced education like a doctor or microbiologist. And I will never try to take anything away from those who have gone to college.

later all.......