586,005 active members*
4,861 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Red face heat treatment issue plz help

hello engineers i am facing big problem about heat treatment of a very deligate tool steel part(dimensions is O.D170mm not exact round but like cam profile and I.D 150mm not exact round but like cam and thk is 1.5mm which is veri from different protions of ring material is D-2 and req hrc is 58~60. i have not enough knowledge about heattreatment.i need advise about heattreatment process wat is the best process for this type of thin section parts if some one see the actual part i can send him jpeg for better understanding.
    thanks

fsa

fsa, Is the piece hardened before or after final machining/grinding? I had an experience with D2 at 58-62 Rc. This was finish ground after heat treating.

These pieces were heatreated (hardened) in an electric inert atmosphere (nitrogen gas) oven and then subjected to a liquid nitrogen bath while in the same oven.

Pieces were stable after this treatment with no distortion after finish grinding.

Your 1.5 mm thin areas can present a cracking proble unless the finshing operations can remove heavier material amounts after hardening. (contour grinding after hardening?)

Dick Z
    DZASTR

Fsa - I am with Richard. I had many punches and dies made out of D-2.
    D-2 is very stable and has next to zero distortion in heat treating. A good heat treater should not have any problems at all. You can keep your range to within +/- 1 Rc.
    I always attached a special note: "No distortion" to make sure my parts were handled with the proper care. Like Richard said, 1.5mm is very fragile at 62 Rc.

plz check image of my problem

engineers plz check the part and i thing after heat trteatment grinding operation is not the easy task and idont have any machine to do this.still in trouble plzzz support me
    asif fsa
    Attached Files Attached Files

fsa, what machine is used to produce these contoured parts? What spindle speed is available/possible? It may be possible to grind the contours with the same machine.

If the present machine's spindle speed is not fast enough, a grinding attachment could be used by adding to the existing spindle.

add: www.vulcancut.com/vulcanaire.html

Dick Z
    DZASTR

fsa- What is the tolerance for all the dim's?
    Since it is a metric print they could be using "General tolerances as per DIN/ISO2768". Let me know.
    What is the function of the part?
    The reason I am asking is that you have a lot of people designing things on CAD and specifying a material without regards to the function of the part.
    Using D-2 for such a fragile part is not a good idea. You could be saving someone from spending a lot of money for something not needed and will actually make a bad part.
    Bin there!!!

Quote Originally Posted by RICHARD ZASTROW View Post
    Interesting tool but come on .....300 series - 3,000,000rpm!:bs:

Sharp eyeball there!!!!!!!!! I didn't see that, must be a proof reader error or lack of proof reading. LOL

Dick Z
    DZASTR