585,665 active members*
3,000 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > Need X-Axis cable breakout diagram VF-0 Brush Motor

Unhappy Need X-Axis cable breakout diagram VF-0 Brush Motor

Yesterday I set out to resolve the Alarm Code 161 that started appearing on my VF-0 1992 VFC. When I pulled the X-Axis motor I found plenty of things that could lead to a ground fault. Brush dust was thick so I cleaned that out. but the biggest problem is that someone at one point had stuffed way too much cable into the connector box pinching the cable in a couple of places and allowing no litle amount of coolent to gather there. Everything was moist and gummy from coolant evaporating from that location. I carefully cut the cable and shortened it but must have made some mistake as this morning I got a Alarm 139 X Motor Z Fault error. Does anyone have any idea of where I need to check for this problem? I would like to find a color coded breakout diagram of the motor connection end of the X axis cables.

Thank you

eagle

If the fault declares a Z fault error, I would think you do not have continuity on your encoder marker pulse wiring.
    If you do not have the wiring schematic, look at copying one of the other axis, which may be a good idea anyway, if this one was full of carbon, then there is a possibility the others need attention.
    Remember, new brushes $25.00, new Motor because of poor maintenance, $1000.00+.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

That is one of the encoder wires that must be open circuit or wrongly connected. The Z channel on the encoder is the one that gives the ballscrew position signal for zeroing the axis. I don't have any diagrams or anything but perhaps you can take a cover off where the wires enter the encoder and then trace the colors?
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Thanks guys,

It was a broken wire.

Eagle