585,733 active members*
5,116 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Questions about Probotix 3 axis package

Unhappy Questions about Probotix 3 axis package

Hi all, This is my first post. I just realised how huge this site is!!! Anyway, I've been thinking about building a CNC machine for about 8 years now. I'm finally putting the pieces together after seeing some cool websites like this one and buildyourcnc.com. I recently purchased the Probotox 3 Axis combo with the yellow stepper motors (280 oz). I know there have been some questions already about setting up the probotix stuff but I couldn't find a problem similar to mine. I mounted the boards and wired up the power supply like the diagram shows. I currently don't have the limit switches hooked up or an E-stop switch. I hooked it up to my PC printer port running XP and I hooked up a stepper to the x-axis driver. When I power it up all the leds come on (which is a good sign I think) but I can't seem to get the motor to do anything. I have the demo version of Mach 3 and I think I configured it properly, although I'm not real sure. Here's my pin settings.
    Motor-------------StepPin#-----------DirectionPin#
    X............................2.................... ..........3
    Y............................4.................... ..........5
    Z............................6.................... ..........7
    I've read that you have to set the parallel port to EPP. I did that and I still can't control the motors. I'm using the arrow keys to jog the motors but they don't move. I checked the vref on the drivers and set them to .47 volts. Does that mean the drivers are now set to 3 amps? Sorry for all the questions but any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated. I was hoping to get a motor turning by this weekend but that might be wishful thinking. I have some experience in electronics but I'm new to the whole CNC thing so there may be something really simple I'm not seeing. Also, in mach3 I ran the Mach3 driver test and that passed.
    Thanks in advance,
    Dan D

Talking

Alright, I knew this would happen. About 20 minutes after I posted my question I figured out what was wrong. I discovered (after probing around with a volt meter) that I had a bad solder joint. One of the connections for the fuses was not even connected so that explaines why none of the motors were working. I did a quick resolder on it and now it seems to work perfectly. So far I'm very happy with the Probotix stuff. Now, to finish the hardware part of my mill!!! I'll try to post some photos when I get farther along.

Dan