585,722 active members*
4,396 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Cool PICStep Firmware Updated

Hi all,

I've just released V1.0 of the PICStep firmware. It now works correctly on a PIC16F628A microcontroller and has some nice new features.

You can see all the details on my website at :

http://www.fromorbit.com/

Have fun,
    Alan.

Alan,

My first post on this great forum.

I spent ages browsing your site. The picstep controller is now on my to do list. I'm just in the process of evaluating all of the designs out there. I basically would like to make some form of pc controlled router / engraver.

I hope to start building the picstep next week. Then hook this upto TurboCNC.

I'll let you know how I get on !

I'm hooked already

Quote Originally Posted by santiniuk
    Alan,

My first post on this great forum.

I spent ages browsing your site. The picstep controller is now on my to do list. I'm just in the process of evaluating all of the designs out there. I basically would like to make some form of pc controlled router / engraver.

I hope to start building the picstep next week. Then hook this upto TurboCNC.

I'll let you know how I get on !

I'm hooked already
    Glad you like it.

Send photos of what you've done please!

Cheers,
    Alan.

I too have been looking at this controler. I would need one board for each motor right? and they are for bipolar motors?

Well it appears that the LMD18245 i.c's are not that common in the UK. I managed to track some down at Farnell.

Unfortunately got diverted this week but still eager to make a start.

I'm very keen to hear if anyone else has built this controller.

Thanks

The LMD's can be had from DigiKey.com for relative expense.

I've imported 32 of the things to Australia for a fairly minor charge considering the distance. Farnell's locally want 6 times the price I got them from the USA for!

Look around, they can be had fairly cheaply.

Alan.

Thanks Alan,

I checked out the Digikey link. Looks like I can save quite a bit sending from the U.S to the U.K.

Cheers

Great glad to hear.. I've modified the board to include mounting holes and removed quite a few redundant wire links once I re-routed a few things. Should be a bit neater to construct now.

Cheers,
    Alan.

Great stuff Alan,

Components on order and due this week. Unfortunately I'm away with work for a week so things have slipped.

The new board layout is top notch, and the fewer links the better

Cheers

Shaun.

Well I had quite a surprise today.

Returned from a work trip all fired up ready to build the Picstep boards only to find that the details have been removed from Alan's site.

It appears that someone is selling details or kits of the Picstep controller. Very Very dissapointing.

So, I have etched boards and that's it. Hopefully Alan will restore his site as thats's all I downloaded.

http://www.fromorbit.com/projects/picstep/

For the details....

Unhappy Email me!

Hi all,

Yes I'm suspecting something fishy is going on with regards to my PICStep design. Reason for my uncertainty is I've received a number of emails from users who have alledgely purchased boards/kits from me. Since I've only sold boards to Australia, and all the emails are from locations near Brazil I'm kind of curious where these people got them from, and got the idea that I sold them/support them.

A few of the emails where quite pushy and insinuating that I've "sold them a dud", which I take real offense to given that I've never sold them anything!

Anyway, all is not lost. If you wish to access the PICStep details please email me via the link in my navigation bar on my website. I'll post you a URL to the new location of the details.

If you have any information that can shed light onto this development, please let me know.

Thanks,
    Alan.

Cheers Alan,

email sent.

I hope you find the person involved.

Thanks,

Don't give up. Most here are behind you and support your efforts.

It is unfortunate that some people are taking advantage of you as well as being rude.

Cheers for your efforts.

Paul

Thanks guys, I don't think there is much I can do to stop this. But that doesn't mean I can't have a good old fashion whinge about it.

Once the message is received by the customers of this person, I'll return the site to normal (probably a week or so).

Cheers,
    Alan.

Hi, Alan

I am down in Brazil... If you need any help I can see if I can find who is selling your design.. And at least we can try to stop it..

Do you have more details that you want me to look over here ?

Best regards,
    Alexandre

Quote Originally Posted by alexg
    Hi, Alan

I am down in Brazil... If you need any help I can see if I can find who is selling your design.. And at least we can try to stop it..

Do you have more details that you want me to look over here ?

Best regards,
    Alexandre
    Hi Alexandre,

No that's just it, I received a few emails in broken english requesting help for my boards. The first couple I conversed with and gave help to. After the fourth or fifth one I started to get suspicious. Then the last couple have pretty short with me and where quite aggressive.

I've sent emails to all the people I had helped, and to the last few people. I tried to remain calm and politely requested where they purchased their boards, but not one of them has replied to my request.

So other than a bunch of email addresses ending in ".br" I have no further clue.

I'm resigned to the fact I really cannot do anything, so this exercise is just to blow off some steam. I'll cool down and the information will return in full to my website.

Cheers,
    Alan.

@Garfield2

All my Circuits and Hex Files for PICs on my Page iss free, when i ckeck a other People make Money whis MY Circuits, can i make nothing, it,s Inet.
    I think it is my Hobby, programming Pics or/and make circuits and the "Profit" is the Acknowledgment from other User.
    Many Peoples make your Circuits and the Hex iss free for other ( i make it! ), that ist the Thought of the InterNet
    On my Page www.migrosser.de.vu have it an Digital turbopressure Display and more and an Windowscircuit both whis Hex, and both iss free.
    Or an other german People have a same Microstepping Stepper Projekt, and it iss free hex and the circuit.
    Works whis Atmel and not whis an Pic
    See here the HPstep
    http://www.nc-step.de/download.htm

Apology for my bad english I im German !

Quote Originally Posted by Garfield2
    Hi Alexandre,

No that's just it, I received a few emails in broken english requesting help for my boards. The first couple I conversed with and gave help to. After the fourth or fifth one I started to get suspicious. Then the last couple have pretty short with me and where quite aggressive.

I've sent emails to all the people I had helped, and to the last few people. I tried to remain calm and politely requested where they purchased their boards, but not one of them has replied to my request.

So other than a bunch of email addresses ending in ".br" I have no further clue.

I'm resigned to the fact I really cannot do anything, so this exercise is just to blow off some steam. I'll cool down and the information will return in full to my website.

Cheers,
    Alan.
    If you want you can send me the emails and I will ask the guys politely in Portuguese and see if we can clear things up... It may even be just a misunderstanding with people trying to ask you questions and not knowing english well enough to sound polite. If you want to check it just drop me a note and I can try...

Best regards,
    Alexandre

The Picstep boards are going to hopefully control my project.

I've started my log here...
    (It's to keep the incentive going !)

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7286

Has anyone else built these ?

Any hints or tips appreciated.

Cheers

ps:
    another electronic parts source in the usa is
    mouser.com
    they have as much or more than digikey at slightly lower prices.
    fast delivery as well
    just request a catalog from both places