585,954 active members*
4,398 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: 5 axis head

5 axis head

was kind of curious if anyone has found any opensource material on a 5 axis cnc router head design. i saw one site floating around the web that had a 5 axis machine that was home built but there were no plans or real information on it. besides the typical commercial lines, is there anything opensource/relatively cheap that can be found?

Describe the type of work you want to do and I can help with 5 axis? What type of machine will you use?
    Mel White

different types of 5 axis...

I agree that you need to define what you want to do with 5-axis.

Most people really want 3+2 (3 axis motion + 2 axis positioning)

Even in the aerospace industry, this is the norm for all but turbine impellers, etc...

Just my $.02

Chris Gosnell
    Gosnell Design

well as and architecture student we do a lot of complex models that are mulitsided so this would the primary application. possibly what you suggest cgosnell might be more suited, but i was mainly looking for some basic info on designs and so forth. primarily it would cut blocks of either of foam or wood, and possibly a lot of abstract shapes.

I don't see how a router can have 5 axis, all the same I do get what your saying about doing some complex shapes. Odds are that most of the things you will do are 3 axis in nature using 3D machining to put all 3 axis in motion. For a router to have 2 more axis, you would need a table that pivots axially and diametrically. If you need really complex shapes, I suggest you look into a rapid forming techniques such as Stereolithography (SLA) or Selective Laser Sintering (SLS). Considering the type of work you do, that's were I would put my money at before investing in a 5 axis machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulo E. View Post
    I don't see how a router can have 5 axis
    The tool rotates in two axis.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

ok as an example here is a 5 axis router that would fit the bill of what i was hoping to find http://www.rainnea.com/cnc_5axis.htm .

Now as it is i'm looking for anything opensource or relatively cheap plans to build the router head portion of something like that. I'm sorry if my earlier posts were confusing but it took me forever to find that site again after losing it.

Our retrofits...

We have taken a '4 axis' Horizontal Milling Machine (3 axes) plus a vertical rotary table, and added an horizontal rotary table to create a 3+2 machine. It can do contouring on any 3 axes(out of 5) at once.

If you look, you may find some examples of machines that make things like cylinder heads that also use this method.

If you want to make architectural models, it may be easier to use a 'reprap' or STL type of machine, or make the models in a series of 2D slices, and assemble from there.

look at radial arm saws

I have an old radial arm saw that basically has the 2 extra axis -turns around 360 & drops through 180. It could be used as the spindle motor. but its not small and would need a large strong gantry and z axis to carry it.

look at radial arm saws
    I think its an interesting challenge.

http://opusinwood.com
    beautiful designs Beautiful woods

Checkout www.youtube.com as there is a video there of a five axis router their. Anther member has a webste at www.cnc4free.com and he has a 6 axis CNC Router and rights a plugin for GMax that creates the necessary nc. code touse it.

baseball,
    I recall seeing some heads similar to that a long time back on ebay. They were single rotary axis heads that could be stacked together. Perhaps a couple of gearmotor heads with an L bracket ?

Steve

Baseball, I don't have any suggestions WRT opensource, but followed a couple of links from your link, and the pictured router plans are available for $150. Not free, but not to bad a price IMHO.

FWIW I was impressed with the machine... gives me lots of ideas. Thanks for the link.

Steel2chips

hmm well after i did a little digging of my own i believe this ( http://www.doughtydrive.com/products.html ) was the site you came up with, and while the plans cost 150 dollars to build their machine you would have to email for a price on the rotary heads, which i think i'll do in a little bit. thanks everyone for the input so far!

If it weren't for people like you and your latest find, the rest of us would still be living in the dark ages