584,805 active members*
4,831 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Milling Depron Foam

Hi Guys,

What is peoples opinion on the best milling cutter/burr for milling depron foam?

I have done a few cuts with a Diamond burr and results are ok. Just wondering if there is anything better out there.....

Thanks

Mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Milled Depron.jpg  

I use a rotorzip .125 grout removal bit at 10k rpm. The machine is a phlatprinter designed for cutting sheet foam RC airplanes.

Are you using the same machine? The tabbing looks familiar.

I`m using a Step Four basic 1000 for my milling and general cnc routing. What do you mean by tabbing?

I`m not sure what rotorzip is, is that like dremel? Have you got a link to the cutter so I can see what the profile is?

I quite like having a radius or dome cutter as it avoids getting a sharp edge on the milling.

I use the term tabbing to refer to the tabs needs to retain a cut part within its medium during the cutting process.

A rotorzip is a fancy Dremal. One of many styles

The bit is like this but has more bit cutting lenth and was a lot cheaper at my local shop.

The bit is basically a barrel with sharp bumps all over. I've cut up to 40 ipm (my machine max) and never had any melting issues. I did with all fluted bits I tried.

arh ok...the tabs I put in on my cad software. The step four cnc software does not include a feature to add tabs so I put them in manually.

The cutter you are using, is that more for completely cutting parts out? I`m experimenting with pocketing areas to leave about 1mm wall thickness at the moment.

I don't seem to have any trouble with pocketing. The phlatprinter web site has a few good pics of what can be done, just search the gallery. For a machine that can be assembled with most of its parts from a local hardware store it works surprising well.
    http://www.phlatboyz.com/

Phlatrpinter

Rc3Dpilot, thanks for the compliments on the Phlatprinter. We're glad you are happy with it.

Also wanted to put a thank you out there to everyone here at cnczone. This is where we learned everything we needed to know about CNC. We couldn't have done it without everyone's help.

We want to let everyone know we have 5 Phlat-Premium Kits ready for shipment in 1-2 business days. After these 5 Phlat-Premium Kits are gone, we will not be making any more until the new year.

We have 5 Phlat-Bonez Kits ready for shipment in 1-2 business days. After these 5 Phlat-Bonez Kits are gone, shipment may be delayed for a few days to give the manufacturer time to make more.

Thank you and have a Merry Christmas!

Mark and Trish Carew
    Phlatboyz.com