585,937 active members*
3,838 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Laser Diode for Etching and Burning

Hi,

I am so intreagued by the thought of incorporating a laser into the machine I am building, but I can't seem to sort through all the differing opinions about minimum power requirements, wave length and other factors needed to etch, burn, etc. various materials such as wood, aluminum, steel and plastic. I cannot afford to get a commercial, high power head so I thought to by something like one of those diodes pulled from a DVD burner. Can someone help me clear the air? Is one of these diodes really useful? I mainly would use it for art creation. Has anyone successfully been using one of these? What is the power rating? Can you post some photos of work you have done that have demanded the most performance from your laser? Is there a reliable, low-cost source for them, or must a person just keep looking on EBay for one?
    If these diodes are not up to the task I may just try to save up for another kind to buy later. But then the questions really start piling up. . . CO2? YAG? (I don't even know what YAG is) Or what other kind works good and doesn't cost much? Any help greatly appreciated.

Mike M

Go to www.AppliedLaserEngineering.com & www.MaestroEngraving.com for info on cylindrical laser engraving metal. If anyone has a need for the finished product and/or equipment, please reply to this.

Has anyone successfully been using one of these?
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53398

Here is a start

Bob

Laser Diode for Etching and Burning

Gravure:

Thanks for your reply. I went to the two sites you refer to, but didn't see anything about diode lasers to be used in homebuilt machine. Interesting sites, though.

Blackbeard52:

Thank you also. As it turns out I had seen this video before. So, I can see what can be done with plastic. It is encouraging.

Looking at my post I see I could have phrased things better. What it amounts to is wanting to incorporate some sort of laser head (and, I suppose, a power supply) into the CNC machine I am already constructing (for routing), which will be able to etch AND engrave AND burn in wood OR plastic OR metal. So what might be the minimum laser to fill all of those requirements? What might it cost? Where might I be able to find the components? What wave length, or color should I be considering? Are there diode lasers with these traits? Or do I need to get a laser tube, like CO2, for instance? Thanks again.

Mike M.

While I was investigating just such an application (never followed through) I found this site....http://www.laserpointerforums.com/forums/YaBB.pl..these guys have tried it all....

Good luck

Bob

Laser web site

Wow Blackbeard52

Thats a really neat laser site. Course it'll take me forever to explore it all since it's almost as big as CNCzone Surely there will be info I need there somewhere. Thanks for the lead. Meantime, if anybody here has more pics or videos on the subject I would like to see them posted.

Mike M.

it's almost as big as CNCzone
    Yes it is and they are just about as helpful for us DIY guys...Glad I could help....

Bob