584,871 active members*
5,427 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Stepper Motors / Drives > Stepper motor sounds and clicking

Stepper motor sounds and clicking

Hi all,
    I was just wondering if this is a normal functioning thing for stepper motors. When I turned them on, the motors all hummed kind of like a shhhhhhhhhhhhh. When moving the motors made clicking noises or vibrations ever once in a while, not sure if this clicking made a pattern or if it was random noises/vibrations. Also, I don't know if when these sounds came up the motor actually stalled for a microsecond. Are these just normal functioning sounds? Not sure if it is because of the wrong software settings or what.
    Thanks.

It maybe missing pulses??

How do I know if it is missing pulses, and how do I change the settings so that it works?
    Thanks.

Could it be because of the fact that I may have 200 steps per rev on the pc and the board in 1/8 mode? 1600 steps per rev? But, it seems to be doing the same thing when I have it set and 1600 steps.
    Thanks.

Mine make noises also using Turbocnc, but they are rythmic. I think it would have to be software related because when I run EZ CNC in Win98 they are as smooth as silk and make no wierd noises. I too am curious.

I will try EZ CNC to see if the problem persists.
    Thanks for the help.

Could be a ball bearing noise? Maybe the bearings are "dry" or have gotten a bit of dust inside?
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Ya think that if it is this, after a little use they will get better?
    Thanks.

No, ball bearings do not "wear in" that way. It might be worth an attempt to inject some light grease into the bearings (if you can fit a grease needle between the inner race and the shield or seal). Or, if you can stand the motor vertically on its shaft, and put a couple of drops of oil on the seal, and lift the seal lip slightly with a needle so the oil can get inside the bearing.

Remember that it is not recommended that you ever remove the rotor from inside the stator housing of the stepper, as a permanent loss of magnetic strength will occur.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

But the noise is when the motors are at a standstill aswell.
    Is this driver or software problem then? I really don't want to open up the motor untill I know that's the only way.
    Thanks.

Your Honor,

I submit into evidence the following statement made by the defendant Sanghera earlier today:

Quote Originally Posted by Sanghera
    ...When moving the motors made clicking noises or vibrations ever once in a while~snip~
    Now he has amended his statement to say that the same noise is occurring when the motors sit still.

I submit, Your Honor, that these statements are contradictory and that the case should be dismissed.

It must be the electronics

I OBJECT!!!!!! hahaha
    Well, the motors make the shhhhhhh noise at standstill and when moving, just when moving it clicks once in a while, and vibrates in both standstill and moving. So, if it is electronics, what could it be? The noise is made even with no parallel port connected and just at standstill. Is it because steppers aren't made to standstill for long periods of time?
    Thanks.
    I liked you last post. hahaha.

Well, I tried them out again, and for some reason all of the sudden they went quiet. Then they went loud again. Also, I could only get about 500 hz out of them. If I went anymore, the motors sounded like they were spinning out inside. It sounded like something was moving faster, but not the shaft. I don't know what going on. Any ideas?
    Thanks.

This case sound that you have noise, check your ground and maybe filtered you ac line.

Hope this help,

Alex
    Alex
    www.ebfcnc.com

Alex
    Excellent suggestion. Noise may be causing the motors to jump half way to the next step then fall back. A printer I once worked on did this on purpose to get a buzzer sound.

Sanghera
    Check the connections of all of the wires between the computer and the drivers. Look for any loose wires and possible bad dirty connections. Even on the motor power wires.

Are you getting wrong results due to missing steps?

C-nut

I'm not sure about the missing steps. Well, the motors aren't actually vibrating when stalled. They just make a weird noise. Once or twice the motors started up very quiet. I'm not sure if I'm just causing myself a whole bunch of work because these don't sound right. Are your motors quiet with no fuzzy sound aswell?
    Thanks for the input.
    I really appreciate your help here.

Ok, here's what I've got. I have a switch from my power supply to the Xylotex board. When I disconnected this switch and I touched the two wires, the motors would either
    a) make the shhhhhhhhhhhhh and couldn't handle the 1000hz
    B) go quiet and could handle the 1000hz, but when moving vibrate a lot.
    For B) the two wires usually sparked and then made the quiet noise. a occured more often. For B) I think that I might be just shorting the motors or something.
    Thanks.
    Any info is greatly appreciated.