585,949 active members*
4,193 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Open Source Gecko 201 Look A Like?

Hey guys,
    I for one would be in for a single channel, high voltage and high current driver along the lines of a G201. Not identical, but some of the same features. Anybody game?

Phil

I'd be in. Let me know how I can help. The highest bipolar IC drivers I've found are from Allegro.... 35V 2.5A max. And their unipolar drives go up a little higher amps.

For H-bridges.... There's the Infineon TLE 6209R, 40V 6A continuous/7A peak, pseudo-chopper. Motorola has the 33887 40V 5A continuous H-bridge. These are both for DC motors and won't have microstepping control or translators but it's a start. And they'll need some uP (PIC would be good) for control.

Michael

I believe the H bridge would have to be discrete to get the voltage current capabilities. 8 Fets something along the line of irfb41n15d's, 150V 41A. Maybe use the L297 or a micro to do the step sequencing. Something along the lines of 6n138 to do the opto isolation. The first step I see would be component selection.

Phil

Go 4 it Phil, You did such a good job on the other open source drive. I am sure you will handle this project well.
    Being outside the square !!!

sounds real cool as long as the price of the parts are cheap gecko is only 115

main problem i saw with the open source controllers that are out now. is the parts cost almost as much as the other equivalent controllers. not even counting the time/supplies to make them

sendkeys,
    I think as many people do this as much for the I did this, rather than saving a buch of bucks, but.... I just did a cost on the 3 axis discrete board. Round numbers $18 from Digikey, no board. If you are already setup to do toner traqnsfer pcb's, maybe another $2 for a board. $20 bucks or so for a 3 axis controller that doesn't need a breakout board. The modular way is more expensive, no doubt. The l297/l298 around $20 per axis $60, add another $18 if you want the interface board and cables, plus another $10 for the interface board, plus about $5 for cables, your at $75 and you have to do the work, yes there are as good of solutions for the same price. Three axis of gecko's $360. I think for most hobbiest's that might be a little hard to swallow. I guess I would say, my target wasn't an identical unit, just possibly more current and higher suply voltage than we can put together now in a bipolar chopper. Plus throw in opto isolation for step, direction and enable.

Phil