585,749 active members*
3,988 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Milltronics > Machine just stoped, help!

Machine just stoped, help!

1986 Partner 4 Centurian 4. Was working well. Overnight machine quite working. Reset button doesn't work. What is the first thing to check to get going again?
    Thank you.

You need to be a bit more specific .
    Do you have any computer screen , or error messages ?
    power to all the fuses ?

Input power OK, fuses OK. No error messages. Very slight light on sceen, but no numbers or letters. 24 volts to relays. What is my next thing to check?

I'm no expert , but I can relate from personal events :
    if the monitor was burned out , you'd probably still get a flashing reset light (unless its burned out ) .
    The computer is not communicating with the control .
    On my cent 5 , there is a regulated power supply that feeds 120 vac into the control . This box is below the main computer box and has 2 outlets on top . you can pull out the plugs one at a time and just jumper them to an extension cord plugged into the wall and see if it powers up the computer .
    One of these cord powers up a cooling fan and the other goes to a power supply inside the main box . If this yields no results, then the next step would be the power supply inside the main computer box .
    You have to take off the cover ( 8 small screws ) to get to the power supply unit . Similar to a computer pow box , it converts 120 vac to 12vdc.
    and 5vdc. legend on that box will tell what terminals are supposed 12v.
    there are 2 flat plugs P8 & P9 that plug onto the circuit board . this is where to check for voltage . b carefull!

I Have a Cent. 4.

Cent5 is all I am familiar with . maybe someone else can join in .
    But I stand by my original generic advice that you have to determine if the computer is booting up or at least getting power . When you turn on the main power on a cent 5 , and look at the screen quickly , it says "no input signal " for just a few seconds , if the computer is not sending a signal .

When turning on power, I get nothing on the screen but a faint background glow. No numbers or letters. Should I be checking power source supply?

The 5 volt power supply seemed to be operating wierd. I pulled it out and it tested fine. When re-installed, wierd again. There seems to be a 1/2 volt feedback from the terminal strip feeding back into the power supply. Where would this voltage come from? The total voltage on the terminal strip is .78 volts instead of 5 volts. What next?

Check your cycle start button. Mine went bad and it caused havok with my CRT and it
    caused programs to E-stop all over the place.
    Check your E stop button, the control may be coming up in e-stop.
    Check your control/keyboard for any stuck buttons.
    When you power up with the front control consule open, can you see your CRT tube
    getting power? I apply contact cleaner on the ribbon connector once or twice a year.
    I also have to clean the wire connectors on the back of the tube occassionally.
    I get alot of corrosion problems where I live on the southwest Washington coast.

You don't say if you are getting power to the servos after pushing reset?

No power to the servos. I have tapped all the console buttons to unstick them, nothing. There is a faint glow on the monitor, but no picture. I'll open up the console, and check buttons from back side.