585,667 active members*
3,644 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Taig Z Axis Column Torque? Manual?

For as nice a little mill as it is for a beginner like me, there are a few really frustrating things about it.

1st, I don't want to over-tighten the Z-axis column, but there's no torque specification anywhere. When I called and asked, I was told "about as tight as you possibly can get with your hand chocked up on the wrench," which seems pretty arbitrary. I'm sure my wife can't push as hard as The Terminator can, so I'm a bit concerned. I'd really rather pull out my torque wrench the same way I do for my car, but I don't know what to dial in.

2nd, it didn't come with a manual. =( There are so many screws and adjustments everywhere, but I'm afraid to turn anything because I don't know what 90% of everything does. Is there a drawing somewhere, a manual, anything someone has put together to explain all the pieces of the mill?

I've come a long way already: The CNC part of it is running, I've purchased a nice test dial indicator, a 1-2-3 block, clamps, and am tramming my mill... yet it seems like the basics still elude me!

Thanks...
    -Chiem

Well, 40 ft/lbs is way too much (don't ask...)
    I just do what the factory says, I use a 1/2" ratchet to drive the socket and choke up on the handle, then tighten. I'd say 20-25 ft lbs is probably about right.
    Nick Carter
    Largest resource on the web about Taig lathes and mills
    www.cartertools.com

Wait till you get trying very complex CNC....Like me and my Taig been in the shop since Monday working on a part.

Put in like 15 hours with it this week.

I do the same as carter.

-Jason

z collum......

you could tpye in MicroProto into your search engine get the number for taig directly in arizona and probably purchase a manual for assembly from them....they are great people with probably the best customer service I have ever experienced.......Kurt Daily is the guy to ask for I think his mother answers the phone it a farely well established family business.....and if you can get his father on the phone buckle down for a long talk......RECORD IT....he has forgotten more than any of us will ever know.....60 yrs. as a aero-space machinist.......WE'RE NOR NOT WORTHY....lol.....seriously he is a machine GOD