585,883 active members*
4,880 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Question CAT40 vs BT40 tool holder????

Quick Question!!

Looking at a spindle speeder that has a CAT40 tool and I have a Bridgeport Series II Interact 4 that uses a BT40 tool holder. Are they interchangeable??

Need answer ASAP--thanks

ben

re

I depends

different thread, different drive keys, slightly different length

I have done it on my VMC, but it depends what you are doing

Usually the biggest issue with interchanging is the ATC.
    An ATC holds the tools by the flange groove and they are different there. Most machines will handle both tools if the correct pull stud is used.
    IMO if you are already tooled for BT, I would stick with it.
    You can get speeders with BT setup.
    www.integratedmechanical.ca

Quote Originally Posted by DareBee View Post
    Usually the biggest issue with interchanging is the ATC.
    An ATC holds the tools by the flange groove and they are different there. Most machines will handle both tools if the correct pull stud is used.
    IMO if you are already tooled for BT, I would stick with it.
    You can get speeders with BT setup.
    My Bridgeport uses the BT40 and I'm trying to buy a used spindle speeder that is CAT40. If the only difference is the pull stud, can't I just purchase the different pull stud??

Ben

bherr,

The taper for CAT & BT40 are identical 3 1/2" per foot.

The BT uses a metric pull stud thread 16mm X ?. The CAT is 5/8-11.

I'm not familiar with your machine. I don't know what a speeder spindle is. A quick change spindle I assume?

If you do not have an automatic tool changer, you can interchange the tool holders provided that the correct pull stud geometry is offered.

Look through MSC, or one of the other industrial supply catalogs to determine if you can get the correct pull studs.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by cnc4tr View Post
    bherr,

The taper for CAT & BT40 are identical 3 1/2" per foot.

The BT uses a metric pull stud thread 16mm X ?. The CAT is 5/8-11.

I'm not familiar with your machine. I don't know what a speeder spindle is. A quick change spindle I assume?

If you do not have an automatic tool changer, you can interchange the tool holders provided that the correct pull stud geometry is offered.

Look through MSC, or one of the other industrial supply catalogs to determine if you can get the correct pull studs.

Jim
    Jim,
    I contacted the manufacturer of the spindle speeder, which can increase the speed of the spindle by up to 5 times.These are used for mostly engraving. According to the sales rep I spoke with, she said the CAT40 and BT40 are completely different, but your saying the taper is the same, just the pull stud is different. I'll check out MSC and see if I can find something. thanks,

Ben
    PS Don't want to spend the big bucks if it won't work. Just got off the phone with MSC support and they said they are NOT interchangeable and that the pull studs won't work, unless I rethreaded the CAT40.

You might have a chat with Frank over at Martool. He makes pull studs and a lot of other tool holding stuff.

http://www.maritool.com/Retention-Knobs/c67/index.html

Ben,

O.K., I understand the speeder. Does this machine have an automatic tool changer? Years ago I had a series II Boss 6 Bridgeport. It had an Erickson quick change spindle...No Automatic tool changer.

My machine is a 1989 Leadwell with a 24 tool carousel. It uses BT holders. The pull stud geometry for my machine is available for the CAT tool holders.

I used a CAT floating tap holder without any problems. I just couldn't do a tool change because the BT and CAT tool clips are different. The flange at the top of the holders is different. I also have a Nikken probe that is CAT. It doesn't matter to me that it will not fit in the tool changer as I would never leave it in there anyway.

The taper and the guage line are the same. I am certain of this!

If you can get the right pull studs for the CAT holders, and you are not going to do a tool change automatically, I can't see any problems.

The bottom line is that BT & CAT holders do not universally interchange. For your application it may not matter.

I certainly do not want to give you a bum steer, so call around some more before making a final decision.

Jim

Ben,

Another note.

When I bought my leadwell I thought about converting it to CAT as they are far more plentiful on the used market.

I called Leadwell and they confirmed that the only difference was the carousel tool holder clips. The CAT pull studs work in my machine. Unfortunately these clips are $90.00 each, or about the same price as an average new tool holder, so I left it BT.

Jim

The V groove on the hool holders is in a different position thus requiring the different fingers in the tool changer. ALSO the pull stud is different thus the inside of the spindle (drawbar) is different.
    If you do not have a tool changer, just swap out the pull stud. I do not know what else the RPM multiplier has or needs, so be careful.

George
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Question details of bt and hsk tool holder

please provide me with the details and specification of bt series and hsk toolholder series.

BT40 toCAT40

I had a problem using BT40 in a CAT40 spindle, they were loose . I took the retention knobs and machined them off above the thread .03 inch so they screw in farther and now they are nice and tight.