585,888 active members*
4,045 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Advice choosing machine please

Hi Fellas,

Looking to get a CNC machine, and I've been reading a lot. I'm on the fence between the Tormach and the Syil X4+.

I'm a puzzlemaker, and will use the mill for wood, brass and aluminum, maybe acrylic now and again. I don't ever see myself milling much steel, much less stainless or any tricky metals. Everything I've made in the last 5 years is 6 inches or smaller.

Pros for Syil:
    -I believe it runs on 110, so it would save me the expense of running a 220 line. The cable run alone would be at least 120' from the box, so this would save me a lot of cash.
    -Easily moved. My shop for various reasons could move next week, or I could be here another 5 years. I can just see myself getting the Tormach in place and getting that 30 day notice the next monday or something.
    -Price of course, I estimate it would run me $10K to realistically get the Tormach installed and running, vs. about 7K for the Syil. That extra 3K goes a long way toward a ShopBot Buddy, which is my next purchase.
    -Takes up less floor space.

Pros for Tormach:
    -My perception is that they have excellent customer service, and their manual lays everything out very well for a novice to CNC like me.
    -Better resale value should I decide to part with it (not likely thus not a big factor)
    -Possibly (probably) more reliable and easier to get running out of the box.
    -Higher spindle speed, which is important for wood.
    -More mature product?

Any input would be appreciated. I have no CNC experience, but do have a Harbor Freight Syil X2 that I've been using a couple years for basic operations. Already have a full R8 collet set, tooling, etc. I feel like not spending the extra few grand on the Tormach may be short sighted, but the Syil would save me some significant cash and is much easier to receive and set up logistically. Basically it seems like the Syil will likely do what I need, but will take longer to learn and if the tool has issues it would slow me down a lot vs. the Tormach which I think has a greater chance of running well out of the box.

I was exactly where you are 6 months ago, went to Syil America and got a demo of the new X4 (I live within 2 hours of them). I liked and almost bought the X4, but ended up with the Tormach. All I can say is that you should really read ALL of the cnczone Syil posts from waaay back up until the latest. I am very pleased with my decision to have the Tormach. For example, when the mill came and I set it all up there was an issue with the VFD, I called Tormach and they sent one out 2nd day air at a cost to them with ground return postage paid for the bad VFD unit that I had. The forum posts for the other machine indicate that you might be waiting a whole bunch longer to get parts than I did. The forum posts also indicate that more often than not you WILL be needing those parts. As far as moving is concerned both are too heavy to pick up by hand, both will require an engine hoist or forklift to load into a truck or trailer, so it shouldn't make much difference.
    BlueFin CNC LLC
    Southern Oregon

When someone chooses a machine sight unseen over one that he has seen running, it pretty much states the whole case.

Cost vs quality/performance! Nobody can make that decision for you. You alone have to decide which is most important.

apriorius, give a shout out about where you are. I think most Tormach owners will be willing to demo their machines for you so you can see it in person. I certainly will, if you're in northern California. I'm demoing my machine for a couple of guys tomorrow.

Best regards,

Randy

Thanks Zephyr....I'm in Raleigh, NC. Anyone in the Triangle area have a Tormach they want to show off? I'll bring a sixer of something tasty

Quote Originally Posted by apriorius View Post
    -I believe it runs on 110, so it would save me the expense of running a 220 line. The cable run alone would be at least 120' from the box, so this would save me a lot of cash.
    How are you currently getting power to where you are working? At that distance line drop might be an issue. You want to minimize it to get the most from your machine.

http://www.electrician2.com/vd_calculator.htm

You seemed to have missed the fact that the Tormach is twice the size. This is normally considered a pro not a con.

The is not much difference whether you move a 200 kg machine or a 500kg machine.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by apriorius View Post
    Hi Fellas,

Pros for Tormach:
    -My perception is that they have excellent customer service, and their manual lays everything out very well for a novice to CNC like me.
    -Better resale value should I decide to part with it (not likely thus not a big factor)
    -Possibly (probably) more reliable and easier to get running out of the box.
    -Higher spindle speed, which is important for wood.
    -More mature product?

Everything 6 inches or less, no steel, needs to be mobile...

Get a Taig unit. I have one, and move it around easily by myself.

Sorry, I know its the Tormach forum, but my thought while reading this post. I will probably get a Tormach in the future.

Eric

You have nothing to be sorry for. Your point of view doesn't have to be pro Tormach to be valid.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by etzz View Post
    Everything 6 inches or less, no steel, needs to be mobile...

Get a Taig unit. I have one, and move it around easily by myself.

Sorry, I know its the Tormach forum, but my thought while reading this post. I will probably get a Tormach in the future.

Eric

Quote Originally Posted by philbur View Post
    You have nothing to be sorry for. Your point of view doesn't have to be pro Tormach to be valid.

Phil
    If what yo do is mostly make puzzles with a little bit of other stuff thrown in,
    I agree, go with the Taig. I have one, but I do heavier stuff, which is why I am retrofitting a full size BTC-1

Get a nice router to replace the factory spindle and you can go at 24k rpm and really cut puzzles.
    When you need to mill something more substantial, put the stock head back on and away you go.

The new g540 kit from keling looks like a real winner to add onto the taig and will be much better than any other control for the taig.

For about $2500 and a little love, you will have a machine that will go 12" x 5.5" and do it well for you. Get the 2019er/cr
    http://www.taigtools.com/mmill.html
    You will then be able to decide if you want to go Tormach or Sylil in the future as you needs increase.

Mike.

P.S. I would go Tormach if I had to choose between the 2 because of the quality and rigidity. Once you have a cnc mill of that size, it won't be long before you decide to mill bigger and harder pieces.
    Warning: DIY CNC may cause extreme hair loss due to you pulling your hair out.